Should I have got a triple

scopes15
scopes15 Posts: 84
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have recently bought a triban 7 road bike and I find that I struggle up some fairly long hills and maybe could be doing with a lower gear?

Sorry - I am new to road cycling - can I change the cassette on this bike? (also I have noticed that when going downhill at 30 - 40 mph I am in my highest gear so I would not want to be limited anymore this way?

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As you ride more you will get fitter and stronger - if after 6 months you're having to get off and walk, then maybe starting thinking about a triple? In terms of your existing drivetrain, you've likely got a 12-26 cassette and fitting a 12-28 will give you a slightly lower gear. As you get fitter, you'll just ride harder so it won't be any easier you'll just ride further or quicker!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • scopes15
    Thanks,

I haven't had to get to off yet but I would like to increase my distances and take on more/steeper hills and was slighty worried that I had bought the wrong bike.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just keep pedalling it does improve but it never gets easier, you just pedal harder.
  • How much do you weigh?

If you're a heavier rider (I'm 95kg), the only way it gets easier is if you shed weight, I find hills tough, I can't remember the last hill I came across where I've had to walk, have done a 15mile mountain climb without stopping.... Doesn't mean it's easy though! ....I need a triple to crawl up them, for long rides, the final climbs can be very tough indeed, and without my "granny" gear, I'd probably get off the bike and push.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    How much do you weigh?

If you're a heavier rider (I'm 95kg), the only way it gets easier is if you shed weight, I find hills tough, I can't remember the last hill I came across where I've had to walk, have done a 15mile mountain climb without stopping.... Doesn't mean it's easy though! ....I need a triple to crawl up them, for long rides, the final climbs can be very tough indeed, and without my "granny" gear, I'd probably get off the bike and push.

^^^
    This. You can't just change to a triple either - you'd likely need to change your front shifter (almost certainly) and maybe the front derailleur. The shifter might be particularly expensive.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Strangely enough I find that hills are easier on my compact double than on my 53/39/30 winter triple that I use if it looks as if it could get wet. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You are definitely right junglist - if I may be so bold - things do get easier if you can drop a few kilos, that knighted Belgian prooved that even at the highest level.
  • scopes15
    I am about 12 stone - recently lost a couple of stone through cycling and changing my diet. Will stick it out and try to get better at the hills. Might look into strengh exercises in the legs also
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I said something about strength exercises around here once and got roundly lambasted for it. The consensus seems to be that strength training doesn't help - to strengthen your legs for climbing you need to do lots of climbing on your bike (it certainly has worked for me) - mashing higher gears when you should really be spinning helps a lot - it doesn't make the climb faster but it does building your leg strength.
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Stick at it! Like Monty Dog said, if in six months you're sitll struggling then think about it again but jkust get out a ride. i used to think cycling 8 a flat miles commute twice a week was a long way but it soon became 16 miles each way three days a week. Good legs will come soon enough :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    2 years ago I struggled up the gradients in bottom gear I now struggle up 1/2way down the cassette.

When you come across a longer gradient I think you'll tend to drop into the easiest gear - no matter what it is - and end up grinding up it.

12 stone isn't heavy - and it's just fitness in your legs you need to build - so perhaps find some shorter hills to ride around for now.
    Downhill - 30-40mph I'm in my highest gear too (50/11) - I wouldn't worry about that.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    going from a 34t on the inside of a compact to a 30t on the inside of a triple doesn't give you as big a payoff as you'd think - and you just end up riding slower and prolonging the agony :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    The other evening I discovered another aid to climbing hills - a white van man right on your tail on a single track road revving his engine and sticking right on your tail.
    :)

I stuck to my guns though and carried on spinning up the hill. Mainly because I knew if I pulled over and let him pass I'd never get going again. :)
    I still struggle at clipping-in on a significant gradient.
    But I did make it and at a reasonable pace - thanks to WVM "chasing me".

In a more direct reply to the OP, I started out with a triple and then bought a compact and was worried I'd stuggle. And I did to start with. But now I manage just as well with the compact as I do with the triple. It just takes time and improved fitness through more time spent in the saddle I'd say.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • slowbike
    AllanES wrote:
    The other evening I discovered another aid to climbing hills - a white van man right on your tail on a single track road revving his engine and sticking right on your tail.

I stuck to my guns though and carried on spinning up the hill. Mainly because I knew if I pulled over and let him pass I'd never get going again. :)
    I hope you said thank you when you got to the top...
  • djm501 wrote:
    mashing higher gears when you should really be spinning helps a lot

Stupid beginner's question:

So when you say "spinning", presumably you mean higher cadence in a lower gear (i.e. the small chainring and a big gear on the cassette)? I ask - even though it seems obvous through your presentation of the alternative - because I swear I've read on here someone referring to "spinning" up a hill as an alternative to "mashing" the lower gears
  • AllanES
    Slowbike wrote:
    AllanES wrote:

I would have - if I'd had any breath left :D
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • slowbike
    AllanES wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    AllanES wrote:

I would have - if I'd had any breath left :D

Wave of the hand is all it takes ... and just shows you appreciate their patience (even if they haven't been)
  • AllanES
    Slowbike wrote:

Wave of the hand is all it takes ... and just shows you appreciate their patience (even if they haven't been)

Sorry, I was being flippant.
    I did give him the thumbs up.
    I do always acknowledge people I've held up and "thank" them for being patient.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    So when you say "spinning", presumably you mean higher cadence in a lower gear (i.e. the small chainring and a big gear on the cassette)? I ask - even though it seems obvous through your presentation of the alternative - because I swear I've read on here someone referring to "spinning" up a hill as an alternative to "mashing" the lower gears

Spinning v mashing refers to cadence or pedal speed, and isn't related to any particular gear or chainring. It's usually used in discussions about climbing because that's where the differences appear most obvious.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited August 2013
    Do not think you should have got a triple. Stick a 12-28 cassette on and hit some hills.

Hills are as much about technique and state of mind as gearing and power.
    The 28 will give you a bit of confidence and with a bit of practice you will gain the power, technique and then hopefully see hills as fun to conquer rather than a dread.

If your only reason for thinking you need a triple is to manage hills when starting out, then either you do not plan on getting any better or you would have been stuck with a triple you would not need.

Edited to spell 'technique' correctly :oops:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Should I have got a triple? No, they're for tourers. And old people like my grandad. Do you ride a touring bike? Are you a grandad? Lord help you if you say yes to both, you'll need a quad. And they haven't been invented yet!

;)

More seriously, loads of useful advice posted above. Lots of climbing is in the mind, many people make the mistake of getting to the bottom of the hill and then think "OMG, its a hill! Quick, into the lowest gear I have...". This was very noticeable on the Ride London sportive where people seemed quite happy to ride at a good speed on the flat but as soon as things got a little vertical they slowed right up. You loose all momentum and because you're not really attacking the hill, you're not pushing yourself to get better at them. Try holding a gear or 2 higher than you normally do for as long as possible before changing down, next time try holding the gear for a few more meters and increase it every time.

When you really go for it, you'll surprise yourself how fast you can actually go uphill. There are some short, sharp 15% hills near me that are used for 1 minute interval training. Normally I'd crawl up them in my lowest gear but when interval training its in the big ring with the chain in the middle of the block and full attack. I'm spent by the top but it sure as hell gets you fitter!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • You make an excellent point that most of the time you can do hills in a higher gear than you think. I started saying that I'm going to do some of my local hills in the big ring, which I thought would be impossible, but wasn't at all and now I'm climbing them much faster.