Clamp on chain guide

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm converting my Anthem to 1x9 transmission and need a chain guide. The bike has a BB30 bottom bracket so I can't use a BB mount and there are no ISCG tabs. Superstar make one which looks ideal but at the moment is only available in stupid colours. Is there a good alternative for around £30ish?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Use a thick-thin chainring instead. Saves weight and works really well.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I already have a spare Renthal chain ring which I will be using
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    May as well get a works components or raceface XX1-style chainring, will be lighter and just as good at keeping the chain on, plus you still have the ring spare as a back up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What I have read about the works components rings is that they work well with a clutch mech but not quite so good with an old style mech like mine.
    I would rather use a chain guide.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Twin guide rings, inner and outer, it's what I have on my 1x9 MTB (link in sig below), or a bash/outer ring and an N-gear jump stop.

Old front mech locked off on the stops, it's what I have on my 1x9 commuter, used a Sora as they are lighter (for the same money) than MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got one if those SS seat tube mounted ones unused in red/black. The guide one that I don't think you can use with a bash. I'll dig it out of the shed for £12 posted if you want.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lawman wrote:
    May as well get a works components or raceface XX1-style chainring, will be lighter and just as good at keeping the chain on, plus you still have the ring spare as a back up.
    I've yet to try this, I can't say I'm overly convinced! That said, my chain has stayed put for a good while now with just a top guide and a clutch mech.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    if you're converting TO 1x9, then you must already have a front mech. They're fairly effective chainguides.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No clutch mech for 9 speed, so thick/thin is pointless IMHO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    benpinnick wrote:
    how the hell are these chainrings supposed to work?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    benpinnick wrote:

It is just magic. They work though. Just tried mine round Lee and Cragg without any dropped chain or dramas at all.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used the Superstar seat tube mounted guide, always found it perfectly acceptable, but no better. Dropped chain very occasionally, but it regularly rubbed and needed tweaking.

Changed to an E13 XCX, and it's a revelation! Silent, solid, no dropped chains. Over budget, but I must say I'm impressed with it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think I have found a half price XCX chain guide with seat tube mount. Looks just the job.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:
    I used the Superstar seat tube mounted guide, always found it perfectly acceptable, but no better. Dropped chain very occasionally, but it regularly rubbed and needed tweaking.

Changed to an E13 XCX, and it's a revelation! Silent, solid, no dropped chains. Over budget, but I must say I'm impressed with it.

What he said ^

I've got both and the XCX is a million times better at doing the job and is better made, looks better, easier to adjust. The only thing against it is the price, but then IMO they make the best guides out there and are worth every penny.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mcnultycop wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

It is just magic.
    :lol: Fair enough