Should I purchase a 2009 Trek 2.1?

josephforsberg
josephforsberg Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
This would be my first road bike. I got the price down to $600, is it a good buy? I have a crappy old road bike that I've been riding 16 miles with nearly every day on regional trails. I would be using it mainly for exercise, I do not plan on becoming a competitive cyclist. I'm looking for a quality bike at a descent price.

Here is the bike
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/s ... 83455.html

From what I've read it seems to be a pretty nice bike and 54cm is right in my wheelhouse.

I am meeting him in about 5 hours, any quick response would be HUGELY appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    These type of posts are becoming boring and too commonplace.

If YOU think it's worth $600 buy it - most people on this forum deal in £s so have little interest or knowledge on foteign secondhand prices.

Final comment - your question is also against forum rules.
  • If anyone would be willing to share input I would still appreciate it. I apologize. If i can't turn to a bike forum for bike advice then I'm kind of on my own aren't I? I'm looking for objective advice, not sales pitches from bike shops. Again, I apologize.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the exchange rate is 1.5 that's £400. Sounds a bit steep for a 4 year old bike with FSA / Tiagra kit. I'd see what you can buy brand new in the sales for $600. 2014 bikes should be appearing soon and 2013 stuff will be discounted.
  • I've been to local shops and it seems like new bikes in that price range don't have nearly as nice of components. I would be getting an aluminum frame w/ carbon forks. Could you suggest any comparable bikes in that range? BTW THANKS for the help
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    edited August 2013
    Firstly I agree with elderone - what's a bike forum for if not for FRIENDLY advice!

I would say the price is OK if it is in good condition - more importantly, take it for a ride make sure it feels comfortable that you don't feel either cramped or over-stretched. Check for play in wheel bearings, crank and head set.

If you are happy, then try to negotiate a few more $ off the price. If anything doesn't seem right, walk away and save your money. There will be plenty more opportunities.
  • Thank you! I wasn't very fond of the original reply and I appreciate everyone's input :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Go for it, if it's in good condition and you think it's good value.
    As for the bike it's self, I've got a 2009 Trek 1.9 and it's been a great bike. It's now got mud guards on and is my winter bike, but only because I treated myslef to an Enigma last year. If it fits you 'll be happy with it.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nochekmate
    Thank you! I wasn't very fond of the original reply and I appreciate everyone's input :)

But I didn't resort to abuse elderone :wink: just simply stated the facts and that people's viewpoints in the UK mean absolutely nothing at all as they have no idea of the strength of the secondhand market in other countries and their views are only representative of what they may or may not consider to be good value in the UK - hence question is a waste of time.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Thank you! I wasn't very fond of the original reply and I appreciate everyone's input :)

But I didn't resort to abuse elderone :wink: just simply stated the facts and that people's viewpoints in the UK mean absolutely nothing at all as they have no idea of the strength of the secondhand market in other countries and their views are only representative of what they may or may not consider to be good value in the UK - hence question is a waste of time.

If I could back pedal as quickly as that I would have a chance of winning the tour :lol:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    nochekmate wrote:

That,s ok then.What you did do is take the blokes post apart and spouted your opinion on what other members do on this forum.
    I also don,t know the exchange rate of the euro but I wouldn,t tell anyone that buying in EUROPE is boring and pointless because it,s not in £,or don,t people buy in Europe on here.

Oh well,must be good as I don,t want another warning .
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate wrote:

If I could back pedal as quickly as that I would have a chance of winning the tour :lol:

If your forum name is true that'll be your only chance :lol:
  • nochekmate wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

If your forum name is true that'll be your only chance :lol:

Touché, nomates :lol: