Bike Size

obi604
obi604 Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hello all

This is my very first post so go easy on me.
Im new to the whole biking scene. Im buying a bike for leisure purposes, cycling to work the odd time, to the shop etc, nothing too hectic. All cycling will be done on the road.
I am based in Ireland.

After much thought, I have picked out a bike which is the Giant escape 2 - 2013 model :

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.escape.2/11838/56824/

I thought picking out the bike was the hard part : ))

Now I have another problem with the sizing, its doing my head in :)

I am 6ft 2"
I weigh 14 stone
My inside leg is 34"

I've tested both a size L and XL in the Escape 2........but am still undecided about which size to go for. Both felt ok.

If one is unsure about what size bike to go for, should one veer towards the larger or smaller bike size - specifically in regard to a hybrid/commuter style bike ?

Does anyone know if the Giant bikes are slightly smaller than other frames. ? I think I read somewhere that the Giant bike frames are in fact slightly smaller than other bike frame manufacturers.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The Size My Bike app is a fairly good guide if you have a smart phone. Type in a few key measurements and it computes a generic frame size for you which you can compare with the geometry of your bike.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • obi604
    Thanks for that.

Anyone have any comments specific to the Giant bike sizing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If in doubt go one size smaller.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • obi604
    The Rookie wrote:

Thanks Rookie

Any particular reason why ?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    obi604 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Thanks Rookie

Any particular reason why ?
    It's easier to get a bit too small bike to fit than a bit too large by changing stems etc.
  • obi604

Any other comments from anyone else ?