Drafting...

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Bullet1's thread got me thinking about this but rather than hijack his thread, thought it more polite to start my own. Like Bullet1, I too spend most of my time on the bike cycling alone. My boss does however come with me sometimes (or at least he used to) and I have to admit, its nice occasionally to have the company. The problem is, he's quite a bit slower than me (not that i'm suggesting i'm particularly fast) and whilst he hasn't said it outright, I think that's why he doesn't come with me any more - either for fear of not being able to keep up, or worrying he'll slow me down. The problem is getting worse, because I've been increasing my mileage and he's stopped riding so much and so i'm getting quicker and he's maintaining his general pace. I am however, quite happy to slow down to a pace he's comfortable with, doesn't worry me going slower when I'm riding with others.

So the question is, should I follow him, or should he follow me? When we've ridden before, he's always gone in front (when we aren't side by side) as its the easiest way for him to dictate the pace we ride at. But thinking about drafting - does that mean he's making it easier for me? Should I go in front to make it easier for him? Or will drafting not really have any effect when there's just two people - does it only make a difference in larger groups? As I say, i've let him lead so we go at his pace, not mine, but would it make it easier and possibly up his pace if he followed me. I'd have to keep checking i've not left him behind, but if I lead would it a) be easier for him, and b) maybe if I was easing away from him, it'd encourage him to push a little harder? Would it help him increase his pace? I just want to encourage him to keep cycling and enjoy a bit of company in the process.
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• 5nakey
    5nakey Posts: 16
    i would say you should be at the front.

he will be out of the wind
    he will be more inclined to try and push himself to hold your wheel if you are a bit faster than he would like
    its quite easy for you to check over your shoulder on through shadows on the road to see whether you are dropping him
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    On your right - no, my belief I'm the faster cyclist comes from separate solo rides, I average 15-17mph on my hilly rides now, he's doing around 13mph on his generally flat rides.

Looks like we should give it a go with me leading, which I'm happy to do. I figured that with him in front, he'd be able to ensure I slowed to his pace, whereas I should be leading and that might enable him to get closer to my pace. Just got to convince him to come out again now....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you want to do a bit of both really - but it depends if your boss is after a leisure ride or training.
    If it's just a leisure ride then when you're at the front, don't exceed his pace - or not by much anyway.

If it's training then if he's up to it you can ride in front and slowly up the pace - being mindful of the effort you're putting into the legs, try to maintain or lower that up any gradients. I usually try and ask how they're doing and listen to the answer - the answer itself doesn't matter, it's how they answer. Also - as mentioned, you need to check behind you to see if he's dropped off - ideally he'll call when he's had enough so you can ease up the pace a bit.

Even if not training I'll generally take the front if it's a strong headwind - just don't up the pace and you're then providing some shelter for them.