Arctic Race of Norway *Spoilers(?)*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited August 2013 in Pro race
A new ASO-sponsored race, starting today: http://www.letour.fr/arctic-race-of-norway/2013/us/

Interesting concept, racing so far North, and sure to produce some pretty images. Looking at the route, it does feel like they haven't made the most of the mountainous terrain. Most stages seem of the hilly but likely to produce a reduced group bunch sprint - a whole multi-day made for Thor, in other words.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is there any TV coverage because it may set a new standard in terms of scenary.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Yup you can't argue it's stunning however the mountains are so steep you can barely walk up most of them never mind create a road so understandable why there's nothing majorly hilly.

I've been trying to sort out a holiday to the Lofoten Islands for the last 2 years but keep getting foiled by the logistics of the Hurtigrute timetable. Going to have another stab next year
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Norway is a fantastic place to cycle, I've done a bit whilst working in Stavanger. There's a sportive that runs over the longest day of the year up near the Arctic Circle but I'm dashed if I can find the link to it....
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Key
    Key Posts: 464
    Nordhaug and Vanmarcke(Belkin) have 50 sec on the main group. 24km to go.
  • Wet, miserable and less than 40kms covered live on es.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Is there any TV coverage because it may set a new standard in terms of scenary.

Eurosport showing stages live and delayed.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I spent a week skiing in the lofoten islands in April and it is possibly the most stunning place I've ever visited, however as dsoutar says there are few roads and most of them follow the coast as the interior is far too mountainous to build roads. It's great for skiing though!

0bdca4dd7651aa7ad68e761e20818d24_zpsc1de3406.jpg

5def4e6c1fabdb242c99b88c668e9160_zps257edd08.jpg

c2cd195d3b0d55f4c6a3a43fd6bd6a3d_zps53e16f19.jpg

353e595ab76053d74b18a56be85d562d_zpsf7a26558.jpg

Did I mention its great skiing? :D
  • ^LIKES

Back to the race, Van Hummel takes a much smarter line by the boards and takes it ahead of team mate Markus.

That certainly didnt go to the Thor script...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    We're just planning next year's trip.

Nicely taken by Van Hummel. BMC timed their peak beautifully for Poland.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    top scenery and race camera work.

these races with smaller teams is the way forward
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FJS wrote:
    Most stages seem of the hilly but likely to produce a reduced group bunch sprint - a whole multi-day made for Thor, in other words.
    From the overhead view he got muscled out of stage one.
    Quite a shock for him.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Most stages seem of the hilly but likely to produce a reduced group bunch sprint - a whole multi-day made for Thor, in other words.
    From the overhead view he got muscled out of stage one.
    Quite a shock for him.
    Selig (who was third yesterday) has apologised to Hushovd for having endangered them both when squeezing through the gap between Hushovd and the barrier, although when they briefly touched it looked like Selig who came closest to being unbalanced.
    But I suppose had Selig brought the local hero down, he would have been banished to the North Pole.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    This race was never about cycling was it..
  • Stunning ad for the northern Norwegian tourist board. Markedly different to what I've seen on the one EBH wins.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    This is what HD aerial shot cycling coverage is all about!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    An easy chalk-up for Thor
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • mididoctors
    nasty crash 10-15k from the finish

one argos rider out cold I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • nasty crash 10-15k from the finish

one argos rider out cold I think

The camera motorbike caused that bad crash in today's stage.
    The idiot parked up just outside a tunnel.
    Evasive action from the speeding peloton exiting the tunnel sent some riders down a rocky drop, while others were left on the road.
    Europcar had half their team involved, as was Lars P N, Belkin's red jersey wearer.

Stunning scenery today, though.
    (while the riders were just stunned)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    doug5_10 wrote:
    An easy chalk-up for Thor

A very disappointing finish to a dull stage. Apart from confirming I should take my family to Norway on holiday, there was little else to gain from 2 hours in front of the box.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Really like Matt Stephens as a summariser, good to hear him on Eurosport as opposed to ITV4 doing Tour Series. He is lapsing into Paul Sherwen mode at times though. Good or bad thing?
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Norway is a fantastic place to cycle, I've done a bit whilst working in Stavanger. There's a sportive that runs over the longest day of the year up near the Arctic Circle but I'm dashed if I can find the link to it....

http://www.lofoteninsomnia.no/index.php/english/

Im living in Stavanger at the moment. love riding here :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited August 2013
    Yeh, yeh - beautiful scenery and all that but what a terrible race this was.

They would have cancelled the whole thing if Thor had stayed away with injury.
  • mididoctors
    is there few roads through the hills. every stage just hugged the coastline
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Another new 4 day race in Norway, Tour des Fjords, starts on Friday. Looks a bit hillier, but still not really mountainous.
    http://www.tourdesfjords.no/?categoryID=7&lang=en_GB

Not ASO-organised this one, but still Cat 2.1. Belkin, Katusha, Europcar and MTN are riding, as well as a 'Norwegian National team led by the legend Thor Hushovd'.

Hoping these new races will continue after Thor's retirement...
  • Good to see new races. God knows, we're losing them at the rate of knots in Spain, Italy and Portugal...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I thought Thor was finished, good to see he still has wins in his legs, even if it's not exactly top drawer stuff.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Theres a tour de fjords amateur race on Sunday which should be fun! still space to sign up :)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Good to see new races. God knows, we're losing them at the rate of knots in Spain, Italy and Portugal...

Tour of Piemonte was cancelled earlier this week citing the economy.... :(
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • I really enjoyed the ARofNor, thought the setting and action more than made up for the lack of top top teams.