steering tube has gone stiff to turn

redscouse
redscouse Posts: 157
edited August 2013 in Workshop
I have 2012 spesh allez...just recently serviced ( two weeks ago) doing a 100 miles a week through spring and summer.

last two rides i've noticed that it has be come stiffer to turn the bike...can ride it but reluctant do do the tighter turns...not ridden in the rain for a couple of months, i regularly clean it. the hex key at the top of the tube..i slackened off and tightened back up.

I am reluctant to use lube at present, it is a carbon fork on an alloy frame, could it get damaged from lube?

grateful for any advice
riding a canyon endurace
spesh allez

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Headset bearings sound worn. The hex key at the top doesn't adjust anything in the manner that you are doing it. Check park tools for guidance.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My 2011 Spec Allez has done ~4000 miles and still feels fine.

Is the steering notchy when you try and turn - it could be that it is tightened up too much - loosen off the stem & just a little off the bolt in the steerer - then tighten the stem again.
    Check for play by applying the front brake and rocking back and forth - there shouldn't be any play.

I did overtighten mine once - the ride was dreadful! Fortunately I noticed and slackened it off a bit.

It could be headset bearings - but if it's just been serviced I would've expected the LBS to say they're getting worn.
  • redscouse
    thank for your replies

"loosen off the stem & just a little off the bolt in the steerer - then tighten the stem again"
    would that be the the hex at the top of the tube...the stem hold the bars?

if the headset bearings...would that be expensive to put right?
    covered by warranty? bike only just over a year old and done 1500 miles max.
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • slowbike
    The hex bolt at the top of the tube adds tension to the stem - pulling it down the steerer.
    You then tighten up the stem bolts on the steerer to hold it in place. Theoretically the top bolt can then be removed - although nobody I know does this.

That's why you need to loosen off the stem, adjust the top bolt and then tighten up the stem bolts.

No idea on cost of headset bearings - but 1500 miles isn't much and the bearings shouldn't be worn at that distance - although I guess if you've done those miles really slowly and wobbled all over the place then you could've done as much steering as a 10yo bike! ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Worn / corroded headset bearings would not be covered by warranty - they are a wear and tear item and owners have an obligation to regularly service the bike. Look at http://www.parktool.com for step-by-step guide to servicing your headset - it's a 10 minute job to remove, regrease and refit and needs to be done regularly. Grease will not affect the forks/frame
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • slowbike
    Just pointing out - the bike was serviced 2 weeks ago ... I would've thought that it should be something that would be picked up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Slowbike wrote:
    Just pointing out - the bike was serviced 2 weeks ago ... I would've thought that it should be something that would be picked up.

I'm wondering if they got a bit too enthusiastic with the allen key when servicing it and decided to tighten up the headset a bit?

Headset bearings are generally an easy DIY thing to replace as long as:

1) you get the right replacement parts and

2) you get somebody to hold the handlebars / stem when you detach them from the steerer

Easier still with the bike held in a work stand (but not essential)
  • slowbike
    keef66 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm wondering if they got a bit too enthusiastic with the allen key when servicing it and decided to tighten up the headset a bit?
    It does sound it ...
  • redscouse
    rang the LBS and it is something they check at the service.. I received no advice on the condition of the headset and the bike was like new afterwards so was well pleased...the only thing that they replaced was a damaged front mech and front D cable...they have asked me to bring it in for a quick check so will do this weekend.

thanks for your help chaps ..had me researching headsets..sheldon brown and others all afternoon
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • redscouse
    home from work and loosened the stem bolts then relaxed the hex on top and hey presto ...retightened the stem bolts and everything is good....thank you guys and especially slowbike...cheers fella
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • slowbike
    No prob :) glad it's fixed. U can go riding now.