Prediction thread

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
How long will my bike last at the country station i've left it at before the bike, or at least part of it gets nicked?

started on monday. only the orbea, but bloke had his boardman nicked a few weeks ago from there, and its the only road bike amongst the 10 or so left there, so reckon it may be vulnerable.

i reckon a month.

Comments

• RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Before we place our bets, which lock?
  • kryptonite new york, forgedaboutit jobby. plus cables around saddle and wheels.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    cables can be cut easily, so a wheel can be taken, maybe other bits, really depends on the thief

you have a decent d-lock, position it so that the area inside the shackle is as full as possible (stops a jack being used)

front+rear d-lock will cut the risk a bit more, you can probably leave one lock at the station

but power tools will cut even the d-lock shackles

imho if it's a nice looking bike and they see it is there every day, they may plan to come back with tools at a quiet time

for every day exposure, might be better to get a cheap used bike
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thanks sungod, im not ungrateful, but i know all that!!!

im resigned to it being nabbed at least in part, tbh i wouldnt be too dissapointed as i have no great affection for the bike in question, and i think it may be size too big for me. so it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if i had to go choose another under the insurance policy...
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    Are you asking someone to nick this for you???? :wink:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    so get someone taller to steal your bike, you steal theirs 'cos it's too small for them, both claim on the insurance...

oh no, that's Hitchcock strangers on a train :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Exactly which country station is it at?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Will you shortly be changing your user name to Orbea001?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pinno

Will you shortly be changing your user name to Orbea001?

Well if its up for grabs. Could do with a hack to permanently stick on the rollers.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'd be tempted to lock it 3feet off the ground on the basis that the only thief likely to be interested would be a catalan dwarf.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • that didnt take long!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'm afraid this is bound to happen if you don't use the right sort of security :cry:
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tbf, it wasnt the same country station, yesterday i extended the communt to the next one along, and upon returning in the evening the rack was lying on the floor, and bike and locks were gone. fa cking kuntz scum bstards.

im not too fussed about the bike as i didnt really like it,im more annoyed about the tyres i just fitted and the locks!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I'm afraid this is bound to happen if you don't use the right sort of security :cry:

+1

In the days when car aerials were those chrome, telescopic jobbies, I wanted to develop one that somehow knew when it was being maliciously bent and this made it explode thus removing all the fingers of the hand that was grasping it. Some work colleagues thought this unnecessarily harsh.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    Those bast**ds. I paid these unemployed dwarfs* a tenner each and they came back with this mangled Orbea.

*Political correctness has put paid to their careers. Bloody political correctness.

Personally, I think you should be able to plug your bike in on the rack into the mains and have a key to 'activate' the current.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

+1

In the days when car aerials were those chrome, telescopic jobbies, I wanted to develop one that somehow knew when it was being maliciously bent and this made it explode thus removing all the fingers of the hand that was grasping it. Some work colleagues thought this unnecessarily harsh.

A small amount of explosive in the seat tube with a mobile phone SMS receiver ought to do the trick. At the very least you'd achieve a maiming.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    DesWeller wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

+1

A small amount of explosive in the seat tube with a mobile phone SMS receiver ought to do the trick. At the very least you'd achieve a maiming.

A small amount of explosive? A small amount? What sort of bleeding heart liberal hoodlum hugger are you? You should replace the seatpost with a rocket that will take the thief a thousand metres up into the sky before exploding. It's the only way they'll learn.

I had a bike stolen once. It rankled a bit
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Giraffoto wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

+1

A small amount of explosive? A small amount? What sort of bleeding heart liberal hoodlum hugger are you? You should replace the seatpost with a rocket that will take the thief a thousand metres up into the sky before exploding. It's the only way they'll learn.

I had a bike stolen once. It rankled a bit

You're right. I'm all about the rehab; never thinking of the victim.

Compressed air and an upward pointing 1" dart?

Trouble with all this stuff is you just know it'll go off by accident one day.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}