Fitted new 2014 Deore Brakes

Jay76
Jay76 Posts: 58
edited August 2013 in MTB general
They feel great! really smooth and responsive. My old brakes were Avid Juicy Seven's.

Being a 'budget' Shimano set I didn't expect them to be this good. They are half the price of the Juicy Seven's.
Really impressed..

I will prob get the uprated Ice tech pads at some point along with some new rotas. Currently using the old 160mm Avid Rotas and they have seen better days.
**2011 Cove Stiffee**

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All Shimano feel like they muct be XT, all Avid feel like should be Juicy3's.

Avid work, Shimano feel right while doing it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Also no need to get the ice tech pads or rotors unless you live somewhere with BIG hills. They are very expensive and while they do help cool things down I'm not convinced you need them for most of UK's riding.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Yeah i would agree with that

I use SS rotors and I've never had any fade issues
  • Jay76
    center lock rotors are on their way, thats good to know cheers
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a set. They really are excellent, especially at their price.
    Don't bother with the Ice Tech pads, I had a set in my Zee downhill brakes and they make bugger all difference
  • Jay76
    I have a set. They really are excellent, especially at their price.
    Don't bother with the Ice Tech pads, I had a set in my Zee downhill brakes and they make bugger all difference
    Will see how they are with the new rotas first. One of my usual routes has a good bit of DH so that will be a good test (once the standard pads have worn in that is!)
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • The Rookie wrote:
    All Shimano feel like they muct be XT, all Avid feel like should be Juicy3's.

Avid work, Shimano feel right while doing it.

Word. Budget or no budget, Shimano does the job.
  • Deore 596s were my introduction to what brakes should be like. Never going back! If anything, they are too good, rendering the slx range virtually redundant (unless you happen to have your hands mystically change size so often you require tool free reach adjustment)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    jairaj wrote:
    Also no need to get the ice tech pads or rotors unless you live somewhere with BIG hills. They are very expensive and while they do help cool things down I'm not convinced you need them for most of UK's riding.

yeah but they look so much better which is important when aunt sally goes by on her bike :lol:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Might have to do the same, the LX brakes on my xc bike are pretty bad, lasted well though, 6 years abuse, about 8 pad changes and still do work, just don't stop me as quickly as i'd like!