Need a new frame to transfer my P7 ?

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I Want to replace my P7 frame with something lighter and yet still responsive, any ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What BB fitment, what headtube sizing so you can refit the expensive bits?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Something like a Cotic soul should fit the bill. Light and very springy!
  • The Rookie, headset is standard 1 1/8, BB is Shimano XT

lawman, i thought about the Soul there are a lot of them on here and look quite popular, would an inbred be an option too?
    Any more ideas guys?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The soul is a good bike, can't say as I was a huge fan of the inbred, felt pretty cheaply made, the paint as with all on-ones is shocking. An inbred would be a step back from the p7 and they sure aren't light either. The soul imo is a much nicer and better riding bike.considerably lighter too.
  • lawman wrote:
    The soul is a good bike, can't say as I was a huge fan of the inbred, felt pretty cheaply made, the paint as with all on-ones is shocking. An inbred would be a step back from the p7 and they sure aren't light either. The soul imo is a much nicer and better riding bike.considerably lighter too.

Yeah its looking like i will be heading towards the Soul it does look better quality,
    not too sure there are many more options tbh mate either?

Gary
  • The Rookie
    Definately want to stick with steel, not go ally or carbon (or Ti)?

In Steel I'd say the Soul or the Piglet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    definitely want to stick with steel, not go ally or carbon (or Ti)?

In Steel I'd say the Soul or the Piglet.

I was thinking about alloy, but not sure what make to go for? And yeah Carbon is an option with frames being so cheap from places like on-one and Exotic etc... Ooohh i didnt think about the piglet or come to think of it even the Marley or Bluepig are also options thanks :D
  • The Rookie
    Bluepig is a different frame altogether (in terms of ride) to the piglet.

456 Carbon is very popular, though some find it too stiff feeling, Whippet is another good popular option (and would probably be my personal choice).

There are good resposnsive alloy frames, on-one scandal is very well respected and the weird (and ugly in my opinion) seat stays give it a bit more of a flexible feel than other designs.
  • I know the frame is different but are the Ragley duo decent contenders? I love the 456 but there is a few pieces i need to change , BB type, F.Mech etc... i also think the seat stays are abit "unusual" but the bike looks very simple and plain which is nice
  • Are there any other carbon frame options does anyone know?
  • The Rookie
    Lots from the chinese direct suppliers (ebay).....

What do you actually want from (that is what will you be using it for) the frame?
  • I will be honest mate i don't do a lot of off road anymore, i used to frequent the Chiltern's especially Aston Hills, i cycle each day a few miles while my son is at school, a couple of longish rides ( about 8 miles.. give or take) i use it for everyday travel too as i do not own a car and rarely have need of other transport.
    So i want a light and responsive machine that is also durable, and will accommodate my needs
  • Hi all, was looking at the On-One Scandal today the measurements are the same for parts like seat post and headset etc... and it is a bargain at £139 at the moment, was just wondering for that price whetherit was a good frame or not ? Any opinions anyone? 8)
  • The Rookie
    The Scandal is a nice light frame, well respected and will do what you want no issues.
  • So you think it would be worth a punt then mate?
  • The Rookie
    Personally I don't like the look of the on-one seatstays and it puts me off, but for riding I'd have one, so yes I think it's worth a punt.
  • I know it has all the factors of what im after all i am wondering i guess is it a downgrade or upgrade from the Orange ?
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    I know it has all the factors of what im after all i am wondering i guess is it a downgrade or upgrade from the Orange ?

sideways i'd say. If you like it then go for it. Cheap as chips and you'll be able to sell it easily.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    How about a Kinesis XC130, Stanton or Pripe dream cycles frame as an alternative and for something different?
  • cheers richeO hadnt even heard of Stanton or pipe dream
  • Have decided on the One-One Scandal frame to transfer all the parts off of the P7 but does anyone have an idea what headset type the Scandal uses, i would ideally like to use another Hope/Superstar one, the P7 uses one of these http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG113
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Scandal seems like a little downgrade from a P7 to me. I guess it depends on how old the P7 is?
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Hoathy wrote:
    Scandal seems like a little downgrade from a P7 to me. I guess it depends on how old the P7 is?

Hi, mine is a 2009 model.
    The frame is in fairly good condition except for a rust spot ( on the chainstay bridge), i was going to send it to Orange to get it stripped and resprayed but after telling the tech guy about the rust he asked for a picture so he could see it, and after inspection he advised me that the sand blasting process they use would be too harsh on the bridge and ruin it totally, which is a shame as the rest of the frame seems sound enough. So combining that with wanting a change i decided to look around. I am surprised Hoathy that you say it seems a downgrade? I have seen favorable reviews and heard good comments on here. :shock:

I could still change my mind yet lol
  • The Rookie
    Sand blasting, how 20th century (no Orange stereotypes) get it soda blasted which is much kinder to the material underneath, the rust would have to be very bad to be an issue, myself I'd just treat the corrosion spot!

Photo?

Scandal would be different, and lighter than a P7, rode with a chap on Saturday on a P7 who demo'd a nice OTB for us!
  • Have pm'd you mate, i have never heard of soda blasting tbh im a bit ignorant when it comes to that sort of stuff, can fix stuff on a bike but the nitty gritty i leave to the pro's lol.
    If there is a way to save the frame i will do it as i love it, yes it is a little on the heavy side but im ok with that.
  • The Rookie
    PMed back, it takes a lot to spell the end of a steel frame, I have two from 1997 that are both in fine fettle, so no reason your P7 shouldn't be salvageable!
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Always save the frame!

What I meant was the scandal is a great frame and it'll be lighter and stiff than your p7, but the p7 is an awesome frame and a timeless classic, you're not getting that with on one. Also as shown above the p7s steel will be going well after the scandal is gone. I've had two on one frames and they were great to ride but the finish isn't up to the standard of orange in my opinion.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Well my new Scandal frame arrived half hour ago and it looks lovely and yes you were right it is very light,picked the box up and thought it was empty at first lol lol..
    Spec should be as follows:

18" Alloy Matt Black On-One Scandal frame
    Exotic Carbon rigid forks
    XT Double chain set with Gamut bash guard
    XT Bottom Bracket
    XT front mech
    XT 10 spd rear mech
    XTR 10 spd chain ( for now, may change to a KCNC superlight Gold chain)
    XT 10 spd Cassette
    XT 10 spd shifters
    SLX Brakes/ Saint calipers

Thomson inline seatpost
    Thomson x4 90mm stem
    Easton Haven bars
    Fiz'ik Gobi saddle
    Charge Grips
    Superstar Uno headset in red
    Superstar superlight seatclamp in red
    Carbon Spacers

Mavic Crossride rims
    Schwalbe City Jet or Continental Rubber Queen Tyres
    Superstar carbon Q/R skewers in red
    Superstar floating Rotors in red
    Superstar Rotor Bolts in red
  • The Rookie
    Will look nice, not all what I'd have chosen, but then vive la difference as they say!
  • Just out of interest mate what would you have changed?