Those pesky kids.....

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
Standy-by, rant coming.....

It's the summer holidays, teens are out and about enjoying themselves. Or are they?

With more and more frequency, you see features on TV (usually BBC Breakfast as that is all i seem to get to watch nowadays) about initiatives for teenagers (jobs/activities etc) providing them with 'something to do'.

It strikes me that the generic teen-spiel is now something like this: "It's really good. If it wasn't for this, i'd probably just be out on the street, causing trouble."

Would you? Would you really?

When it was a group of disadvantaged youths, you could sort of believe it. But it's now creeping in across the spectrum and coming out of the mouths of middle class darlings.

The thing is, it's not their fault. This was the message being bleated by politicians/the media over the last 10 years and it's finally stuck - because it's an attractive cop out.

Encouraging this sort of attitude at a young age only re-enforces the fallacy that they are 'owed' a living as adults and that they can't be held responsible for their own actions.

I don't know about you, but when i had 'nothing to do' as a teenager (only 10/15years ago for me) i would find something to do, be it a bike ride/computer game etc, other than getting into trouble.

Has imagination died? Are we looking at a generation that will go rogue if they are not constantly spoon-fed entertainment?

If that is to be tolerated, i'm off!

/rant

[Disclaimer: I make no guarantee that the above makes any sense. Just needed to vent.]

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Peat wrote:
    Has imagination died? Are we looking at a generation that will go rogue if they are not constantly spoon-fed entertainment?

I used to lecture at universities in the UK and was told to tell the students what the lecture was going to be about before I started and to recap on this explanation at the end of the lecture and then to check that they have understood, then give out a handout containing a precis.

When you are trying to teach people how to think (not what, but how) imagination and independent thought are fairly useful skills when you are lecturing on cognitive theories of perceptual salience, these were creative art students, you would not believe the total lack of imagination demonstrated, I assume it is something they were not encouraged to develop as a child.

They are a spoon fed generation.

Fine unless someone removes the spoon...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    The thing is, it's not their fault. This was the message being bleated by politicians/the media over the last 10 years and it's finally stuck - because it's an attractive cop out.

Encouraging this sort of attitude at a young age only re-enforces the fallacy that they are 'owed' a living as adults and that they can't be held responsible for their own actions.

We have become a society where people are absolved of responsibilities for their actions or inactions. Be it drink, drugs, life of crime, whatever, there is always someone ready to trot out an excuse. It is now rare for someone to say,'I made a mistake, but it was MY mistake.'
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    team47b wrote:
    Peat wrote:

I used to lecture at universities in the UK and was told to tell the students what the lecture was going to be about before I started and to recap on this explanation at the end of the lecture and then to check that they have understood, then give out a handout containing a precis.

When you are trying to teach people how to think (not what, but how) imagination and independent thought are fairly useful skills when you are lecturing on cognitive theories of perceptual salience, these were creative art students, you would not believe the total lack of imagination demonstrated, I assume it is something they were not encouraged to develop as a child.

They are a spoon fed generation.

Good post.

I used to lecture at universities too and by lecture I mean clean. One day while cleaning a corridor, I solved an impossible math problem that a professor had left on a blackboard. Now I work for an agency that isn't supposed to exist...... I've said too much.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    I wondered who kept solving the maths problems, so I set up a camera and found Sean.

good_will_hunting_3.jpg
  • ballysmate
    If Sean had cleaned the next classroom, he may have gained a greater grasp of Latin.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I wondered who kept solving the maths problems, so I set up a camera and found Sean.

good_will_hunting_3.jpg
    I miss my floppy hair
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    seanoconn wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Peat wrote:

Good post.

I used to lecture at universities too and by lecture I mean clean. One day while cleaning a corridor, I solved an impossible math problem that a professor had left on a blackboard. Now I work for an agency that isn't supposed to exist...... I've said too much.

Utter bollox. Liar liar pants on fire.
    You weren't even cleaning, you were perving, you depraved individual. Trying to spoon feed us on porkies huh?
    Have you still got the blackboard? No? Oh well, that proves it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Ballysmate wrote:

good_will_hunting_3.jpg

why's the dog, bottom right, have three testicles?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    team47b wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

good_will_hunting_3.jpg

why's the dog, bottom right, have three testicles?

If you could sit in front of the fire, licking your balls, the extra one would surely be welcome. :lol: