Recommend a 1x10 chainset for AM hardtail

Jamie P
Jamie P Posts: 8
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I’m building an AM hardtail with an XT 10 speed cassette and XTR shadow plus rear mech.

I’m looking for a chainset within approx £130 that isn’t too heavy, what can people recommend?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What BB fitment?

Rule of thumb, Shimano SLX triple with a single speed chainring mounted in the mi location.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    What he said ^

Or you can get XT cranks from Merlin cycles ATM for £115, sell the rings and get a narrow/wide chainring from race face or works components an you're sorted.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got a Deore chainset I'm running 1x10 with an e-13 G Ring, it is spot on. I got more than £25 for the chainrings and the chainset all in only costs me just over £50. I'm not sure how much better SLX is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SLX comes with a better BB and is a bit lighter, enough to make it worth the extra over Deore, where XT benefits are mostly in the chainrings he won't be using!

My 1x9 is XT with an E13 ring....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    I'm going 1x on my XT currently too. In fact that's tonight's task.
  • Jamie P
    Jamie P Posts: 8
    My frame takes a 73mm BB Shell

A liitle confused, if I go the Shimano route do I convert to a single using a double or triple?
  • mcnultycop
    Triple. Single ring where the middle should be.