Close encounter with Sainsbury delivery van

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I went out yesterday evening for a ride on what was a nice bright evening at about 7:30pm, sun not staring to go down yet... Only 1/4 mile into my ride and climbing up a nice gradual hill and I hear a van approaching behind, the road ahead was clear, so he had loads of space to overtake me... Then, not only does he pass me, but he makes contact brushing my elbow. I'm convinced he didn't even see me, I could have been lying in the hedge and he wouldn't have stopped. Was thinking of ringing Sainsburys today to tell them that one of their drivers nearly totalled me, but reckoned I would be wasting my time.

So now,I'm wondering should I have a good rear strobe light during the day- is this the way to be sure of being seen?

Comments

• y9y9
    y9y9 Posts: 24
    Or a bright coloured jersey? Bright red or yellow or something similar may help?
  • Burt25
    y9y9 wrote:
    Or a bright coloured jersey? Bright red or yellow or something similar may help?

I usually water read, black and white castelli gear, so it's reasonably bright, but an thinking perhaps a high viz gilet plus a really bright strobe may be the way to go. I guess though if a driver I'd distracted or on the phone it won't matter much what you're wearing!
  • y9y9
    y9y9 Posts: 24
    That's true. Or those who just generally hate cyclists.

I think a bright strobe would be the best way to go. I got a pair of silicone strobe/constant lights from tesco for just £6. Very bright and easily removable. Simple push button to turn them on whilst riding too.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Supermarket delivery vans are the new Newspaper delivery (remember them?). Driven on the assumption that they are 'on a mission' and therefore exempt from the usual signalling, stopping, starting, turning and parking rules of the road.

There is one good thing - they are fitted with those new hi-tech hazard warning lighs that make the vehicle invisible when activated. At least I assume thats what they do. The drivers seem to think so anyhoo....
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Which direction were you cycling in? If you were heading roughly west - could the sun have dazzled him at it would have been quite low at that time of night...?

The human eye is most responsive to red, so that's a good colour to wear - something with two colours that contrast highly with each other is a good idea too.

As above though - if he wasn't looking (delivery van so highly possible he was checking out the SatNav for the next address...?) he wont see you no matter what you wear or what lights you've got on.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Contact your local Sainsburys and report the incident. I think they would take it seriously. These people drive around busy residential areas and that could easily have been a child, playing in the street. The consequences could be a lot more severe....
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • As above, I think you should report it. Even without the reg they would be able to identify which van it was by your time & location (assuming the driver wasn't moonlighting).
  • I count vouch for the delivery vans as these are run by the individual store but i drive HGV for Sainsbury's and they take these matters very seriously. A email direct to Sainsbury 's (not the store) and it would get back to the store / driver for sure. As far as i know there all tracked either way they will have a record who was driving.
  • Report it to Sainsbury's. They won't do anything - BUT - if they look at the guys record and it's got a dozen complaints from cyclists in the last 6 months they may.
  • Definitely worth complaining, go to their website and have a look at all the guff they have on there about sustainability, the environment etc and quote this back to them in your email. I did a similar thing with Coop when I saw one of their lorries speed up deliberately and go through a red light at Reading, with their slogan "driving responsiblity to reduce emissions" on the back disappearing rapidly off into a haze of diesel smoke I got an apologetic email back saying that they had spoken to the driver in question. I'm not sure that they did, but it made me feel good for a minute or two.
  • Burt25
    After thinking about things I decided to report the matter to Sainsbury's, not because I'm after any form of compensation, but to hopefully alert the driver to the fact that there are cyclists on the road. The lady I spoke to in customer services was helpful and said it would be taken seriously. She told me she would ring the local store and speak to the manger who would carry out an investigation - she advised that I can expect a call from the manager, so will wait to see what happens.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    good, hopefully an apology at least, you might even get some vouchers out of it ...
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    I had a bit of a close pass by a sainsbury delivery driver last week, shouted at him and he held his hands up and apologised.
    Just as well it ended amicably, he turned up at the front door of the house 30 minutes later with a load of shopping that the wife had ordered.
  • Burt25
    Well, so much for Sainsburys getting back to me- have heard nothing since I spoke to customer services.
    Should I let it rest or pursue this until I get an apology?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Burt25 wrote:
    Well, so much for Sainsburys getting back to me- have heard nothing since I spoke to customer services.
    Personally I'd forget it now.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, let it rest and get on with life
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Burt25 wrote:

No you shouldn't let it go.

Driver needs pulling for this. next cyclist may not be as fortunate.

Call back.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Don't give up until you at least have a £5 voucher in the post. That seems to be their fix everything solution.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Burt25 wrote:

No you shouldn't let it go.

Driver needs pulling for this. next cyclist may not be as fortunate.

Call back.

+1
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    On the subject of being seen I find around that time the day, with the sun coming down, is probably the most dangerous.

As a big commuter its hard to avoid, so run a Hope District on the back all year. Expensive but is an added peace of mind and seemingly demands space.
  • slowbike
    iPete wrote:
    On the subject of being seen I find around that time the day, with the sun coming down, is probably the most dangerous.

As a big commuter its hard to avoid, so run a Hope District on the back all year. Expensive but is an added peace of mind and seemingly demands space.
    Jeeze - that's a unit and a bit - price & size wise ... :!:

I also have a light on the back all year - usually a Cateye TL-LD630 Rapid 3 - and it gets put on any time there is lower light levels ie any time a car would put their headlights on.

It may not be legally necessary, and for weight weenies it's a nightmare - but its a very easy thing to do to raise the possibility of being seen - I know - that should be to reduce the chance of not being seen... but really, I do think it's the otherway round sometimes!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Slowbike wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Jeeze - that's a unit and a bit - price & size wise ... :!:

I also have a light on the back all year - usually a Cateye TL-LD630 Rapid 3 - and it gets put on any time there is lower light levels ie any time a car would put their headlights on.

It may not be legally necessary, and for weight weenies it's a nightmare - but its a very easy thing to do to raise the possibility of being seen - I know - that should be to reduce the chance of not being seen... but really, I do think it's the otherway round sometimes!

I run the district 3 as well (and add the LD1100 in winter) and it definitely makes a difference. You just can't miss seeing the damn thing, and I theorised that it changes a passive reaction to a bike to an active one. As in: bike not registered, don't pull out; to: bike in my way, will punishment pass.

So your 'not really concentrating' driver SEES you and more readily reacts, the vast majority just go about their business and pass you courteously, which only leaves the idiots.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    which only leaves the idiots.
    plenty of those about!
  • Report it to Sainsbury's. They won't do anything -

My memory may be wrong but someone once told me that if they get three complaints then they are out.

Maybe there is a delivery driver on the forum who can advise ?
  • Burt25
    Well, I followed up with Sainsburys by sending an email as I decided as a matter of principle not to,let this lie. I got a phone call today from the online manager of the local store apologising and advising that the driver in question had been spoken to and appropriate action had been taken. I said I didn't want to create a big fuss, but simply wanted to bring the matter to their attention and if it makes one driver take more care and be more aware of cyclists then it has been worthwhile!!

Now I need a rear light- what should I go for??
  • Watch your back, he may be after you even more now......