scott foil sizing

mallinov
mallinov Posts: 143
edited August 2013 in Road general
Hello hello - I ride a scott cr1 pro size 54. Would I be able to squeeze my 5'10" frame with 33" inner leg onto a size 52 foil team issue frame with a slightly longer stem?

Thanks

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can nearly always make a size down fit with a longer stem etc, but if you go too small you will end up hitting your arms with your knees when on the drops, I know cos I have done it. How many cm difference is the effective top tube length from the 54 to a 52?
  • mallinov
    the top tube on a 54 cr1 pro is 54.5 cm and on a 52 foil it's 53.5 cm. Does that mean a 10mm longer stem will make the difference?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Its a bit more complicated than that but so long as you have plenty of "play" in the size of your current bike it should work fine. Best thing to do is just seek one out and sit on it to get better idea.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I have a 54 CR1 and a bit smaller than you, I've ridden the foil same size with a 10mm shorter stem and it fitted perfect, so my advice is don't downsize In frames,
  • mallinov
    Thanks Micky and Steve. Micky, so are you saying that the foil sizes slightly smaller than the CR1?
  • I’m 171cm (5.7 ish) and ride saddle top to centre of crank at 70cm. I couldn’t decide between an XS and an S due to the Foil’s sizing. Ended up going for the S and I’m glad I did because it might look bigger on paper to the spec of my Cento Uno but when built up I’ve got a 100mm stem slammed, plenty of saddle to bar height and the seat is pushed 2/3 back on the rails with zero set-back seat post.

I’d only ridden it for 10 miles and once round the block to test indexing then took it to London for the 100. It’s ‘meant to be’ a harsh ride, but I never felt uncomfortable once. It’s a fantastic frame!