what do i need to start off?

lyricist65
lyricist65 Posts: 23
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
on from my previous post, i shall be purchasing my trek 1.2 tomorrow with any luck.

so, next is the fun bit - what accessories do ineed? so far i have on m list:

helmet
lock

how important is a computer?

shoes? i think i can get away without for now?

anything else anyone can think of is great, cheers!

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Shoes. Computer. Bag. Tubes. Multi tool. Tyre levers.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Thread already running, you should find what you need below.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12935290
  • Rodders30
    Gloves. Lights for later in the year.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    lyricist65 wrote:

Consider using a bright rear light in the daytime (in addition to night usage) - every little helps regards visibility - get used to using shoulder checks regularly throughout your rides - don't assume that if you use a hand signal to turn right that all drivers will slow or make huge allowances for you - use shoulder checks first to make sure you've got a gap.
  • foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Mettan wrote:
    lyricist65 wrote:

Consider using a bright rear light in the daytime (in addition to night usage) - every little helps regards visibility - get used to using shoulder checks regularly throughout your rides - don't assume that if you use a hand signal to turn right that all drivers will slow or make huge allowances for you - use shoulder checks first to make sure you've got a gap.

Agree with this 100%

Never assume anything. There are a lot of idiots on the road. You have to be alert all the time, it's too easy to switch off. Always read the road ahead looking out for anything in your path, this way you can avoid any sudden changes in direction.
  • lyricist65 wrote:
    how important is a computer?

You don't have to have one of course, it's just useful to know how far you've gone. If you've got a smartphone you can use a GPS tracking app to do the same.
    shoes? i think i can get away without for now?

I'd get some shoes as pedalling in your socks isn't very efficient.

The only other essentials: multi-tool (this is essential!), puncture repair kit and at least one spare tube. Saddle bag to put them in. Pump, frame mounted or otherwise.

If you're doing any distance you'll need to drink, so at least one bottle cage and bidon.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    foggybike wrote:
    Never assume anything.
    Nope - you can safely assume everyone else on the road is an idiot. When that turns out not to be the case then you are not disappointed ... :)
  • lyricist65
    lyricist65 Posts: 23
    edited August 2013
    guys thanks for all your help.

i have now completed the purchase of my bike (attached)

i have another question re replacement tubes. my bike has 15mm wheels and i cant seem to find a tube of that thickness - smallest i see on wiggle is 20?

thanks again
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Mettan wrote:
    Consider using a bright rear light in the daytime (in addition to night usage) - every little helps regards visibility
    I think a bright (preferably flashing) front light is more useful than a rear one for daytime use.

After I started using one, I got a lot less in the way of tw4ts pulling out in front of me.

I mostly use a rear one too, and always if it's not sunny. But getting rear ended isn't all that likely, compared with the SMIDSYs from the side.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lyricist65 wrote:
    guys thanks for all your help.

i have now completed the purchase of my bike (attached)

i have another question re replacement tubes. my bike has 15mm wheels and i cant seem to find a tube of that thickness - smallest i see on wiggle is 20?

thanks again

The Trek 1.2 comes with 700x23c tyres, so you should be looking for tubes to fit that size.
    This is the standard road size so you won't have any trouble finding tubes.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Bibs Bibs Bibs
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • ok went to the shop and asked them too. it seems that the 15mm is the depth of the rim.

got me a saddle bag, multi tool, back and front light, foot pump with gauge and tube lever.

after asking about locks it seems that the only option is to not leave it on the street at all. £50 for 4 minutes worth of security? no thanks
  • Rodders30
    Youll need a pump on the bike as well as a foot pump at home.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Helmet, gloves, lock, spare inner, puncture patch/repair kit, mini pump, a few allen keys, small saddlebag to carry stuff, bottle of lube.
    This is really the essentials for a newbie rider.
    Gloves or fingerless mitts are essential if you take a slide. Hands injure easily and heal slowly.
    You can get saddlebags already stuffed with essentials.
  • good shout on the gloves, thanks.

have a foot pump and bike pump and cant believe how much more the foot pump offers.

going to upgrade the pedals - looking at the Exustar E-PR100PP...any thoughts on these?

spent the weekend zipping around on it though and am loving it. looking forward to the commute tomorrow...