Ride London 100 - a dog's view

fellowhq
fellowhq Posts: 8
What did an elderly labrador make of riding 100 miles for the first time ever? http://wp.me/p3rDad-hq

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There really needs to be a yawn smiley on here :shock:
  • Thanks Carbonator - I think that's the right reaction!
  • Anonymous
    Sorry fellow, I could not resist.

I just felt that for a first post you could have at least said hi before posting a link to what is virtually a self publicising charity request that has no explanation and a misleading/annoying title.

This combined with the attempt at humor and references to bikes and cyclists just pushed me over the edge........and I snapped :(

160 people read my comment and did not flame me so I am guessing it was not too far out of line.
  • Hello Carbonator,

Gosh, I felt the piece contained all the explanation needed rather than me blithering on and telling you I like cats and sushi or whatever. It was meant as entertainment pure and simple; I'm sure everyone had their charity causes for that event. Maybe not hardcore enough for you but that was kind of the point, to show what it felt like to a virtual outsider who's not a leg-shaver.
  • Wow, Robert Millar was riding the Pro Race - he kept that quiet :wink:
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Well I thought it was nice to read the feelings of another average person on the ride - yes a little more info in the OP would have been nice but I cannot understand some replies here - it is not like it is a begging letter.
  • Anonymous
    fellowhq wrote:
    Hello Carbonator,

Gosh, I felt the piece contained all the explanation needed rather than me blithering on and telling you I like cats and sushi or whatever. It was meant as entertainment pure and simple; I'm sure everyone had their charity causes for that event. Maybe not hardcore enough for you but that was kind of the point, to show what it felt like to a virtual outsider who's not a leg-shaver.

I'm not a leg shaver lol.

I only read up to the bit about the 12.5k Cervelo so not sure how hardcore it was. I am not really fussed about hardcore, just doing better.

I find the way you talk about leg shavers, expensive bikes and outsiders very boring and wish people would just get into the sport and do their best.

I dont really agree with complete beginners cycling 100 miles any more than someone who has done a few 5k runs doing a marathon, so the whole concept of someone doing it and then writing a 'witty' 'piece' on it is just annoying.

Boris seems to want loads of un-fit people to ride 100 miles, but why?
    Getting them interested in cycling and training to do a great event would make more sense to me.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I rather enjoyed that, thanks fellow.

Paul
  • Anonymous
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Well I thought it was nice to read the feelings of another average person on the ride - yes a little more info in the OP would have been nice but I cannot understand some replies here - it is not like it is a begging letter.

It was a combination of things. Just seemed an odd first post.

Funny thing is I kind of consider myself pretty average, but maybe I am bordering on elite lol

Any post on here with a link to a charity page is a bit of a begging letter imo. (although I appreciate that the link was on the 'piece' that was linked to, rather than the post itself).

Guys, just decide whether you like the sport, find out what its about, and do it.
    Thinking that clipless pedals, bib shorts, expensive bikes or whatever are special is just plain boring.
  • I've enjoyed reading the various blogs of the event, I remember things I had missed/forgotten about and each time I read about a sprint (maybe not the right word) down The Mall really puts me back there on the day!
  • Got no problem with people giving their thoughts and perspectives on rides/sportives done - I kinda figured that's what this particualr forum is for.

Did it really need a new thread though? There seems to be a page full of Ride100 threads already