Replacing x7 shifter cable

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I wanted to replace the gear wire on my x7 shifter so have popped the cover off to thread out the old cable and as soon as I took the cover off this little coil jumped out and I don't know where it is supposed to back. Can anyone offer any direction? Here are some pics.

image_zps46dd4042.jpg

image_zps12e06766.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bit late to point out there is no need to remove the cover I suppose?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bit late to point out there is no need to remove the cover I suppose?
    A little but thanks for the thought.

Any points for moving forward?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pull the cable and click it into the last position then offer it up and you should see where it slots in.

or take the cover of the other one and have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    nicklouse wrote:
    pull the cable and click it into the last position then offer it up and you should see where it slots in.

or take the cover of the other one and have a look.

Thanks, do you mean click it to the last position where there is the least amount of gear cable in the shifter? the gear cable has no tension as I am replacing the derailleur as well and it is not fixed at the other end.

I have done this and can't really see it..

What happens if it happens again on the other!?
  • pesky_jones
    I think I may have found it.

Does the longer end of the coil extend into the part of the shifter where the cable enters, with the short end of the coil hooking into the bottom of rotating cog type thing?

Not sure how clear it is in this photo...
    image_zps7fdd099c.jpg

This means as I shift up, the coil will be tightening?

If this is the case, what is the purpose of this little coil anyway?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that looks OK.

its purpose is to turn the black cable housing when you click the other way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    Thanks, it seems to be running fine