26" wheels for a jump bike

oddnumber
oddnumber Posts: 42
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks, I've just taken possession of a Haro Thread One for riding to work and general tomfoolery. It's been fitted with 24" DMR rims though, and I think I'd prefer 26" which is what it should have standard. So, my question is, where could I get a set of rims from? Would I need DJ specific rims?

Apologies if it's a daft question, I've only just gotten into bikes.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You only need jump bike wheels if you're jumping! If your tomfoolery will be realtively tame you can save a wedge on just a decent (and lighter) pair of 26" wheels.

You will need wheels with a nutted axle and either a single speed specific hub or an SS conversion on a freehub.

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

I'll not be spending much time in the air to be honest! I don't have a budget in mind really, the cheaper the better to an extent, but it is single speed and I do need the rear at least to be compatible with a disc.

What would you recommend?

I've tried posting in the wanted forum but mustn't have enough posts yet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oddnumber wrote:
    Did you read and follow the test in red on the front of the classified forums?

I'm no expert on jump style wheels, so I'll leave it to others, but personally I'd be looking on ebay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    oddnumber wrote:
    Did you read and follow the test in red on the front of the classified forums?

Damn my stupidity! Posted now :)