Most comfortable saddle

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Having just completed the Ride London 100 on a carbon framed Bianchi bike with a Fizik saddle my rear end was starting to feel rather sore.
This surprised me as I thought my legs, knees would be the areas I would feel it in most.
Toward the end of the ride I felt I had to stand on the peddles just to give my rear end a bit of relief !!

Does any one else suffer from this complaint after a long ride, and what can you do to alleviate it.

I was wearing bib shorts with gel inserts but the saddle is dam hard...can anyone give any advice on a more comfortable saddle for longer events or how you can toughen up the rear end !!

Comments

• Usual advice is get a harder saddle.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No-one can recommend a better saddle as everyone is different. What is comfy to one rider won't be good fro the next.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I hear riding naked eases a lot of the pain.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    To be fair anything above 4-5 hours riding on any saddle can instigate feelings of discomfort. I am a (previously confessed) wearer of padded undershorts, beneath bib-shorts, and find that the double-padding really helps. There are saddles out there that are just not suited to certain bottoms. Recently completed the Dunwich Dynamo on my long-serving Brookes B17, which has armchair comfort levels, and even then the old nether regions were feeling it. Also ride Fizik (Arione and Aliante) and find they suit me OK - a case of 'try it and see' I guess.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I initially found my fizik arione quite uncomfortable, its a bit harder then what I was used to and took some getting used to.

I confess I almost got rid of it but after adjusting the position a bit and giving myself some time to adjust to it I have grown to like it.

A lot of people rave about specalized saddles, but as above you have to try them to find out. If you are spending serious money you may be able to get a test saddle of your choice from your LBS.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Do selle italia id match-they take tell you which saddle you should buy based on some measurements. I suffered with the saddle that came with my bike but the selle one is perfect
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I tried the Fizik Arione and it half crippled me!!

I now have a Brooks B17 which might look out of place on my Scott Foil but by Christ!! Once it's broken in it's simply the comfortable saddle ever!! I rode 176 miles over the weekend without a twinge.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    My fizik Tundra gives me a numb c0ck unless I stanfd up every 20 minutes.

I got measured for a Specialized BG saddle and was told what size saddle I needed. I got a Specialized Romin and it's very comfortable. Did Ride100 and neveer thought about my men's bits once.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I tried the Fizik Arione and it half crippled me!!

I now have a Brooks B17 which might look out of place on my Scott Foil but by Christ!! Once it's broken in it's simply the comfortable saddle ever!! I rode 176 miles over the weekend without a twinge.

You are not alone; after initially resisting the urge, I fitted my B17 Special to my newly acquired CR1-SL for an 80 mile sportive on Sunday. It might look a bit incongruous, and the saddle weighs more than the forks, but my backside was the only part of me not aching when I finished. Armchair comfy out of the box for me.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    dildo+bike.jpg

Can't say this look too comfortable. Wife disagrees but what do women know?
  • i recommend a specialized saddle but do get measured, i used to have a lot of pain and discomfort on any ride longer than about an hour but i gotta a specialized saddle fitted last week before the ride 100 and didn't feel any discomfort.