Rockrider 8.0 or 8.1??

Daveace
Daveace Posts: 23
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I need your advice and expertise...

I'm buying a new MTB and after a LOT or research the Rockrider seems to get consistently good reviews. Ideally I'd like to spend £350-450 which rules out the 8.1, but everyone seems to recommend the 8.1 (currently £550) and there's not much mention of the 8.0 (£430). Has anyone got experience of both or can the tech types out there tell me more about the difference in components?

The majority of my riding will be fairly light trails but I want something that will last so I'd rather save up for another few months and spend more if it means buying a much better bike. Will I notice the extra £120 in the long run??

If anyone out there is selling a decent Rockrider please let me know as I don't mind buying secondhand. Also, if Decathlon could build a store near Cheltenham I'd be very grateful.

Thanks all!

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    In the long run personally I'd go for the. 8.1, for £120 more you get better forks, Drivetrain and brakes

But that's like saying you'd be better spending £1500 and getting much better forks and brakes

However for £120 more if you're not changing for a while I think you would be better of with the 8.1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 8.0 runs a stinker of a fork with no damping, so for the lesser budget there are better options available. (Voodoo's or Carrera's - Down to the Vulcan - at Halfords).

Decathlon are currently showing no stock of the 8.0 anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    8.0 has an hydraulic version of the XCR, but granted, the Recon Silver is quite a bit better! As are other parts on the bike.
  • Daveace
    Daveace Posts: 23
    Love this forum! Sensible advice by people who know what they're talking about. Thanks for the advice. The plan is to try to find an 8.1 or above secondhand to bring it in within budget.