Carbon and panniers for commuting, sensible?

anton1r
anton1r Posts: 272
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I've been looking at getting a road bike to replace the hybrid I use for commuting, the hybrid is fitted out with mudguards and a pannier rack and since I put the rack on the thought of going back to a backpack doesn't appeal.

Anyway, I've been offered a giant TCR Composite 3 for a proper good discount, I was thinking of the defy2 originally.

Questions
1. Is that a sensible stead for commuting 8 miles a day, some of the roads around here are pretty ropey. (in terms of replacing components, wheels/tire costs etc)
2. Fitting the pannier rack? I can see it's doable with all sorts of brackets and adapters but is it really a good idea?

Part of me is like "WOOO CARBON buy it and worry about the practicality later", on the other hand.

Any sensible advice welcome!

Thanks
"I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Possible, yes. Sensible? Not in my book, no. Defy2 a better bet since aluminium frame and has mounting points on fork and dropouts for guards + rack.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    you have to ask yourself why you are buying carbon, if its because it saves weight then chucking panniers and a rack and stuff on it kinda ruins that!

i'd probably go for a decent alu bike.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • anton1r
    I hear what you guys are saying to be honest it's not to save weight. If that was a concern i'd lose a few pounds myself.

The reason i'm even considering it is because the shop can't order the defy2 in the size I need but for an extra £180 they can get the TCR.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • TommyEss
    So spend more and get something less suitable - sounds like a great sales person! ;-)

Sounds to me like you're better off finding a different shop that can get you the Defy - plenty of shops stock Giants.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    Thinking out loud - what's wrong with the hybrid that means you don't want to commute on it any more? 8 miles is a fair but not monstrous distance, so a hybrid should be ok on that.

See if you were suggesting the TCR as a dedicated road bike with no commuting use, then it'd be a different question!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I mounted a rack on my Ali Allez last year - it doesn't have any mounting points so I made up some p-brackets. It worked ok, but rattled a fair bit and I wasn't overly happy with it - it did for the couple of weeks I wanted it on there. The P clips held ok, but there was a significant turning moment on them - I did worry a bit about the frame - enough to wrap some inner-tube around the frame first.
    Noway am I going to mount a rack on my Carbon Tarmac - I wouldn't want to point load the carbon where it's not designed for - in fact, the rack is now mounted on my TriCross which has the appropriate mounting points - it's fine on there and I'll probably leave it on there now - it might come off if I do a CX sportive of similar.

Only way I'd mount a rack to a carbon bike would be if it had proper mount points or by using the axle mounting system - and even then I'd have to wonder why.

I think it might be a case of N+1 - you need a bike for commuting with a rack - and then a nice road bike ...
    I do commute on both TriCross and Tarmac (selling the Allez so not riding that one now) - I usually carry a backpack - but sometimes I work it so that all I have to bring in is some lunch, phone & keys which can fit in my jersey pockets - thats quite nice.
  • anton1r
    haha True @Tommy.

There's nothing wrong with the hybrid per se, I've been riding it to work for the last 4 years, I just fancy a change is all. Also the plan is to start doing regular longer rides as well as use the road bike for the odd triathlon.

@Slowbike yeah, I don't particularly want another bike (shocking I know) kind of why I don't just buy the carbon and continue to commute on my hybrid anyway.

You've made up my mind. (I just needed someone to tell me to behave and not just go for the carbon because it's carbon!)
  • anton1r wrote:
    You've made up my mind. (I just needed someone to tell me to behave and not just go for the carbon because it's carbon!)

:D:D:D
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Or go with the carbon and go back to using a rucksack.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Use a carradice saddlebag and quick mount system.

No need for panniers.

Probably. Seriously check them out- http://www.carradice.co.uk/ - they come in loads of shapes and sizes. I wouldn't go back to panniers now.
  • I use a Giant Defy 1 for commuting and have a rack attached, although it comes with tapped holes on the frame for fitting a rack it didn't look quite right and the brake caliper prevented the left hand side from fitting. I then found that Giant make a specific seat clamp for the Defy which has mounts for the rack so I bought one of those and it works fine. I have no idea why they put the holes in the frame though as they simply do not work?

So leading on from this why not get the carbon bike and attach the top of the rack to the seat post like mine and the bottom of the rack to one of those extra long quick release bolts made for the job. Then none of the carbon will be supporting the rack so it should be fine.

As for not making the bike lighter because you are adding a rack it will still be lighter than an equivalent ally bike with a rack!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Why not get a bike that is designed to accept a std rear rack from the start instead of faffing around with p-clamps or special mounting systems. Whilst you are at it, you could ensure that you have sufficient tyre clearance for the tyres you need to run on your ropey roads during winter, as well as some full-length, bolt-on mudguards.
    Winter-training style road bikes are widely available and ideally suited to fast utility riding in UK conditions. They also double up as light touring bikes and can take a heavy shopping load short distances.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Why not get a bike that is designed to accept a std rear rack from the start instead of faffing around with p-clamps or special mounting systems. Whilst you are at it, you could ensure that you have sufficient tyre clearance for the tyres you need to run on your ropey roads during winter, as well as some full-length, bolt-on mudguards.
    Winter-training style road bikes are widely available and ideally suited to fast utility riding in UK conditions. They also double up as light touring bikes and can take a heavy shopping load short distances.

+1

For my next commuter I'll stick with my carradice saddlebag but will definatly get something with proper mudguard mounts - the clip on ones drive me mad with rubbing and moving about.

And yeah, I'd love to have been able to fit ice stud tyres for the month or so we had snow and ice this year - hated not being able to ride!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Use a carradice saddlebag and quick mount system.

No need for panniers.

Probably. Seriously check them out- http://www.carradice.co.uk/ - they come in loads of shapes and sizes. I wouldn't go back to panniers now.

Certainly works for me! I only carry tools plus clothes and maybe a small amount of shopping in my saddlebag so I'm not worried about the weight and the fact that the seatpost is all carbon. If I was loading it more I might go for an alloy seatpost but it is a great solution and it annoys the rule obsessives!

Photo0349_zps5fd3bda7.jpg
    Photo0345_zpsef8ab6b6.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......