SRAM xo troubles

DTM23
DTM23 Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hola!
I am new to the MTB craze (and I'm hooked, been a road rider for years and now that I've experienced MTB... :-)) and have recently purchased a new Giant Anthem X 2013 model. As with all new toys, one would think when purchased new it would be ready to hit the trails but after one ride nuts and bolts came loose, it doesn't change gears smoothly... the list goes on; anyway it's a 10 day wait to get it attended to so I had a crack myself. I'm kinda stuck with the adjustment of the rear derailleur, sram x0 10sp. I have watched so many YouTube clips on the correct setup and copied them action for action but I can't seem to get it to work smoothly and am starting to think it might have something to do with the initial bike setup. This is the sequence I've been setting it up:

1 - change gears so the chain is on the front largest sprocket and on the smallest sprocket at the back
2 - wind in the cable tensioner (there is only one at the handle bar) so it's at it's slackest
3 - remove the cable from the cable holding bolt on the rear derailleur
4 - adjust the lower adjustment screw so the chain runs around the lowest sprocket smoothly and with it slightly adjusted outward
5 - with my left hand push the derailleur over to the largest sprocket and adjust the H screw so that the chain runs around the largest sprocket smoothly
6 - reconnect the cable with minimal tension then proceed to change up 1 gear then back down one gear adjusting the cable tensions so the gear changes smoothly.
7 - as I work my up to the high gears the tension changes I made so that the lower gear changes operated smoothly work against the upper gear changes. So then I make the opposite adjustment so that the higher gears work smoothly; BUT as you might imagine the lower gears don't work so well then

the hours and frustration keep going....
I have spent a few hours trying all sorts of combinations of initial cable tensions, H & L adjustments, b tensioner adjustments. I can't seem to get it to work.

As you might imagine there is some built up frustration at the bike shop.

If anyone has some tips or advice I'd really appreciate it. Yes, I could wait to take it to the bike shop but I need to learn this for myself.

Cheers

Comments