RC or RCT3

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Can someone explain the difference? E.g the 2014 pike has a RC and RCT3 version with the RCT3 more expensive

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Rc is a simple low-speed compression dial from full open to locked out. RCT3 has 3 settings, open, climb and locked out with an independent low-speed compression adjustment for the open position. It's a better fork than the RC I would imagine, personally I'd rather spend the extra for a Fox 34 or BOS Deville but the new pike certainly looks interesting, but I've never really liked the way Rockshox forks feel. The pike does look good value though.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The RCT3 is the only one to get all the fancy new stuff too; Charger damper, etc. Early reports are suggesting it's as good as a BOS. Can't understand why anyone would want a Fox 34 tbh: heavier, more expensive, history of being a bit pish, etc.
  • ej2320
    So the extra £120 on the RCT3 version is probably worth it then

And the pike has 35mm stanchions
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    warpcow wrote:
    The RCT3 is the only one to get all the fancy new stuff too; Charger damper, etc. Early reports are suggesting it's as good as a BOS. Can't understand why anyone would want a Fox 34 tbh: heavier, more expensive, history of being a bit pish, etc.

This years are supposed to be better. They had comp damper issues which Fox seemed to have sorted.
  • lawman
    DCR00 wrote:
    warpcow wrote:

This years are supposed to be better. They had comp damper issues which Fox seemed to have sorted.

Tbh i could never get what the fuss was about with the 2013 CTD tune. The complaints were made about the descend mode for being too divey and lacking low-speed compression damping. The 32 and 34 factory forks I tried I ran them in 1 or 2 of the trail adjust settings and they seemed damn near identical to how I run my 32 RLC's and I run a fair amount of low-speed compression. Better to ignore the "CTD" title and just think of it as a 5 stage (or 3 stage on the performance forks) compression adjuster. It also better matches the CTD rear shocks, which are an improvement on the RP23 as you get 3 usable settings rather than 2 and the option to alter the middle setting. Both certainly out-performed any Rockshox forks I've tried, even ones with the blackbox damper. Be interested to ride the new pike and charger damper though, although I'm sure I've seen a bladder type sealed damper cartridge in another manufacturers forks before...
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    warpcow wrote:

Tbh i could never get what the fuss was about with the 2013 CTD tune. The complaints were made about the descend mode for being too divey and lacking low-speed compression damping. The 32 and 34 factory forks I tried I ran them in 1 or 2 of the trail adjust settings and they seemed damn near identical to how I run my 32 RLC's and I run a fair amount of low-speed compression. Better to ignore the "CTD" title and just think of it as a 5 stage (or 3 stage on the performance forks) compression adjuster. It also better matches the CTD rear shocks, which are an improvement on the RP23 as you get 3 usable settings rather than 2 and the option to alter the middle setting. Both certainly out-performed any Rockshox forks I've tried, even ones with the blackbox damper. Be interested to ride the new pike and charger damper though, although I'm sure I've seen a bladder type sealed damper cartridge in another manufacturers forks before...

I think Fox is expensive, but they are nice designs are the kashima turns a few heads

I'm really interested to see a head to head Pike RCT3 vs 34 Fox kashima

The Pike has 35mm stanchions and is about £350 cheaper, I'd rather keep the change and spend it on better wheels or brakes.

For shock I'd go Fox kashima every time, I just think rockshox should focus on forks because the Pike shows real promise and fox seem to have nearly perfected the shock recipe

Never tried cane creek and heard they're very plush, but you do pay a premium
  • lawman
    There's no doubt the Pike is great value and Fox are abit on the expensive side, but given the choice,despite not having ridden the Pike, I'd go Fox. As I said I would like to try out the Pike, perhaps the new damper will feel more Fox like and not ride on the air-spring so much.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Pike must be better - it's got black stanchions. :lol:
  • ej2320

Hell yea

Or get the revs with the black stanchions and put pike stickers on them ;)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lawman wrote:
    There's no doubt the Pike is great value and Fox are abit on the expensive side, but given the choice,despite not having ridden the Pike, I'd go Fox. As I said I would like to try out the Pike, perhaps the new damper will feel more Fox like and not ride on the air-spring so much.
    I bloody well hope not!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:

Hell yea

Or get the revs with the black stanchions and put pike stickers on them ;)

Ooh. Can I get them in the 130mm flavour with black stanchions? :roll:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Come on guys its not black stanchions its Murdered Out stanchions!! :lol:

But in seriousness I hope RS don't end up feeling more like Fox. What's the point if every manufacturer makes the same product? Not everyone likes the same things so its good to have manufacturers do things differently so everyone can find a product that suits them rather than having to make compromises due to the lack of choice.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    If you wanted to save a little money, the X-fusion Slant is supposed to be a very good 34mm fork and less than £500.00. I haven't ridden one however!
  • Kowalski675
    jairaj wrote:
    Come on guys its not black stanchions its Murdered Out stanchions!! :lol:

Don't care what they call 'em, just that they look great, lol. Is it just black anodising, or is it a low stiction DLC coating?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    just black anodising
  • Kowalski675
    Oh well, can't have eveything. Still looks very cool.