Riding with others etiquette

DannyJames
DannyJames Posts: 76
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
As I'm new to road riding is there etiquette when riding with others ?

I am about four rides in at the moment and planning a 50 mile round trip over to HolmeMoss, I have only ridden road solo, seen some riders side by side (Don't like the idea of that) and others in-line. My mate is new to road cycling too but it just got me wondering about etiquette etc when following others any tips would be great :oops:

Comments

• DannyJames wrote:

I am about four rides in at the moment and planning a 50 mile round trip over to HolmeMoss, I have only ridden road solo, seen some riders side by side (Don't like the idea of that) and others in-line. My mate is new to road cycling too but it just got me wondering about etiquette etc when following others any tips would be great :oops:

Oh there is loads! The most important one being don't crash into the other rider. If you are riding close you need to keep extra aware of what the other guy is doing, plus a close eye on the road ahead for potholes etc.

If you are out front don't do daft stuff like braking suddendly and preferably signal that you are going to move out etc.

Depending on how many of you there are it's customary at junctions to shout "CLEAR" to signal to the following rider it's ok to proceeed.

If there is a car approaching from behind I shout "CAR BEHIND" - no idea if this is the correct call or not ;)

Nothing wrong with cycling side by side if you want, best way to talk to people, but it's polite to go to single file if a vehicle wants past or on a busy road.
  • DannyJames
    DannyJames Posts: 76
    edited August 2013
    DannyJames wrote:

Oh there is loads! The most important one being don't crash into the other rider. If you are riding close you need to keep extra aware of what the other guy is doing, plus a close eye on the road ahead for potholes etc.

If you are out front don't do daft stuff like braking suddendly and preferably signal that you are going to move out etc.

Depending on how many of you there are it's customary at junctions to shout "CLEAR" to signal to the following rider it's ok to proceeed.

If there is a car approaching from behind I shout "CAR BEHIND" - no idea if this is the correct call or not ;)

Nothing wrong with cycling side by side if you want, best way to talk to people, but it's polite to go to single file if a vehicle wants past or on a busy road.

Cheers pretty much same as group riding on the mtb then apart from the potholes bit learnt quickly to watch for them on the road bike! and crashing into the other riders :lol:
  • DannyJames wrote:

Cheers pretty much same as group riding on the mtb then apart from the potholes bit and crashing into the other riders :lol:

I've never ridden a MTB, didn't know that crashing into each other was the done thing :lol:
  • Probably not for most but i do have a habit of running out of skill :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The only way to learn is to go on group rides with a group of experienced riders. You won't learn this stuff on a mass ride of newbies.
    Try riding in a slower group so you are not working too hard and can concentrate on learning the ropes. CTC club rides are the ideal classroom, easy rides of 40 miles in a group of old hands, usually taking in a tea shop or pub.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I mostly do solo rides too.

Group riding is mostly about communication - but you also need to be careful on how you're riding:
    no sudden braking
    no sudden swerves
    indicating potholes & obstacles

Try and keep it smooth.

If you're following someone then don't let your wheels overlap - unless you're overtaking or riding next to them - if they do swerve out they could take you out. Keep an eye on the road ahead - don't concentrate on their wheel - anticipate moves & keep an eye out for their signals.
    If you've come across someone and are following them then at least say hello - they may not want someone they don't know on their wheel though.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    And look over your right shoulder and make sure it is clear before spitting to the right.

Approaching Hampton Court on Ride London some wally just spat to his right as I overtook him. I told him what I thought of his lack of peripheral vision.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To get the most from drafting a rider, you're right on the rear wheel and therefore the lead rider has an obligation to point out various hazards e.g. oncoming traffic, parked cars, potholes or debris in the road using a combination of hand and verbal signals. "Car down" means a car approaching from the front and "car up" means from behind (old-timer use oil-up/down!) - obviously the rider behind is best placed to warn of over-taking traffic. As said, best way to learn this stuff is by riding with an experienced group. Two big no-nos are over-lapping wheels (9/10 the rider behind comes worst-off anyway) and failing to look over shoulder before moving right or left.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I wrote this http://congletoncyclingclub.org.uk/documents/Guide%20to%20Chain%20Ganging.pdf guide for chain gang riding when I started it up in our club last year. It is cobbled together from lots of other resources on the net. Although you are not asking about chain ganging specifically, much of the detail therein applies to group riding etiquette and common sense items for riding in close proximity to others. Take the bits that apply to your group riding and park the rest for when your 'group' gets big enough and experienced enough for a full on chain gang! :wink:

PP
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    It is not correct ettiquite to cruise in front of very experienced riders going up Holmemoss like it was a bump in the road. Better to show a bit of humility and occasional zigzag or get off and walk.
    Always do your stint on the front of a fast (25-30mph) moving groups otherwise they'll drop you on the hills to find your own way home. :lol:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Remember to keep pointing out potholes as riders further back than you might not be able to see them-nothing worse than when the rider in front of you just swerves round a hole as the last second without calling it leaving you to plough through it!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Cheers for all the advice, I doubt i will ever join a club i prefer riding on my own mostly but as most of my MTB mates seem to be buying road bikes and i have arranged a ride with one already the advice wont hurt when i find myself out with other.
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I wrote this http://congletoncyclingclub.org.uk/documents/Guide%20to%20Chain%20Ganging.pdf guide for chain gang riding when I started it up in our club last year.PP

Thanks reading through it now :mrgreen:
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I wrote this http://congletoncyclingclub.org.uk/documents/Guide%20to%20Chain%20Ganging.pdf guide for chain gang riding when I started it up in our club last year. It is cobbled together from lots of other resources on the net. Although you are not asking about chain ganging specifically, much of the detail therein applies to group riding etiquette and common sense items for riding in close proximity to others. Take the bits that apply to your group riding and park the rest for when your 'group' gets big enough and experienced enough for a full on chain gang! :wink:

PP

A nice little guide there