Best Sealed MTB Gear Cables?

MGDriver
MGDriver Posts: 38
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
On my last bike I had Transfil Flying Snakes Sealed Gear cables, I had the bike stollen last month :( but I've now got it's replacement :) so I'm now getting the new bike up to the spec of the last one.

I've tried to get hold of the Transfil Gear Cables but they seem to be out of stock at the usual places, have they been discontinued, or replaced with something else?

What is the current trend in sealed cables?
Giant Trance X2 - 2013
Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    edited August 2013
    Only the Gore Ride-On Low Friction Sealed cable system are completely sealed from the elements as long as you don't submerge the shifter end.

The rest (Flying Snake, Nokon, Alligator i-Link, Jagwire Ripcord, Avid Flak Jacket, Home-brew setups) are semi-sealed - water will enter the cable if you submerge the derailleur end.

Gore Ride-On's are the best and I put them on all of my personal bike builds. One of my mountain bikes is still shifting smoothly after 10 years of use so definitely value for money.

On bikes that I build for other people, I use a cheaper home-brew version of the Avid Flak Jacket system.

iceni_xc_sport_40_zpsf9dbccb6.jpg

I buy gear outer cables in 50m lengths and stainless steel gear inners in batches of 100. For the home-brew version of the Avid Flak Jacket system, I add these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-gear-c ... proof-kit/

Edit: there is only one "l" in stolen.
  • I got the cheapest possible. As long as youre running full outer then theyre all the same.

I got 25m of clarks outer for £20ish and its been brilliant. Wont be buying any for a looooong time!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run Jagwires with the O-ring 'seals' in the end caps, never had an issue despite having BB routed cables on both bikes (which get cruddier than top tube routed ones).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any stainless ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MGDriver
    MGDriver Posts: 38
    Thanks for the tips, I managed to find a Flying Snakes kit thanks to Google for £21, so whilst there may be better, for that money I'll stick with Transfil. :D
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
    Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
    Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010