needs advice on buying a fork!

ferhatkaya
ferhatkaya Posts: 23
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Currently I have a GT Sanction 1.0 with 2010 Marzocchi 66 RC3 and Fox Float RL shock. 66 RC3 has 180mm travel and according to my amateur experiences it is too big to ride in Finland, and heavy. However, more important problem is settings, there are three setting options, coil preload on the right leg and compression (bottom) and rebound (top) on the left leg. Additionally there is an air preload option on the left leg. It is too difficult to get right settings. Probably I do something wrong or not enough experienced yet. So, I was thinking buying a more simple, lighter and a budget fork. Rock Shox Sektor RL Solo Air 150mm QR15 2013 is in my list, do you guys have any suggestion or experience to share about this fork? Should I buy it? Do you guys think will be a big differences than my Marz 66 or stick with the 66 RC3?

cheers,

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Going from 180mm to 150mm will ruin the handling of the bike. You'd be better off selling the whole bike and buying something more appropriate for your riding.

Setting up forks isn't that difficult though. Once you get the basics like sag and rebound correct then you can play with the compression settings to see what feels best. Loco Tuning, TFTuned and a whole host of other websites have guides on how to setup suspension and just generally how it works.
  • Actually, this fork is not the original one for the frame, I mean it is a custom build. I searched what GT used for this frame, i think it is a model of 150 or 160mm Fox fork.
    I'll follow your second suggestion, play more with the knobs. As you said first thing i need to get right sag and rebound. At the beginning I was a kind of confused, and playing with the knobs without following a system. Thanks for the response!