freshe
freshe Posts: 63
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Anyone could explain what is the difference between these hoses:

SM-BH59/63
SM-BH80
SM-BH90

Why are they designated for particular brake models and can they be used with models they are not "designed" for ?
I just wonder is it a marketing trick or is there some technical difference between them apart from the price ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some are better quality, some have different end forms (banjo or straight) as you've provided no links it's obviously not that important so i won't go searching.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    SM-BH59 is the old wider bore hose with straight fittings both ends

SM-BH63 is wide bore with banjo one end and straight fit the other

SM-BH80 is Saint "high power" hose with a banjo one end and straight the other for older M810 brakes

SM-BH90 is the newer narrow bore hose for use with the new style brakes. This comes in 4 different versions -
    straight to straight for Deore M596
    straight to banjo for SLX / XT / XTR
    straight to longer banjo for Zee
    straight to longer gold colour banjo for Saint

You can use the new SM-BH90 hoses on older brakes but using the old wide bore hoses on new brake models in not advised.

Hope this helps!
  • freshe
    -1 for that guy above (the links will just tell you the name of hose and what brake its for - so with or without what difference does it make tbh) and +1 for mister p - thanks for that mate.

I will read up on the banjo thing.

Now you can buy 10m hose that has no banjos (it's just a hose) so I take in this case any og them should fit any brake if you can put the ends yourself (unless the size is different ?)

Now if I was to buy a complete hose I suppose I could fit SM-BH80 instead of SMBH90 with the SLX (most recent model).

I was looking for 10m box of SM-BH90 but I cannot get it anywhere at the moment.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    SM-BH80 is still a wide bore so is not recommended for new brakes like SLX. Also SM-BH80 comes with a short bolt to attach the banjo to the calliper but SLX uses the longer bolt like this -

shimano-sm-bh90-banjo-bolt-and-ring-IMG31124.jpg

You are better off just buying the correct hose, the BH90 with one straight and one banjo fitting.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    fyi when i incorrectly cut the hose on my XT brakes I was able to replace with the Zee one as thats all they had available - just discard the supplied bolt and used the old one.

Dan
  • freshe
    That's what I was thinking - I can get 10m box of hose only - so technically I could fit it with banjos and whatnots that will suit my brakes. So in this case perhaps BH80 would work instead of BH90 - which I can only get pre-cuts sets.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The hoses are pretty much universal.

Just make sure that they are for high pressure applications, and that the ID and OD match the original. A good way to tell is that the barbed insert and the olive requires a bit of force to fit them onto the hose. Then, all that remains is to figure out the end fittings.

If you want to re-use barbed inserts, this is the easiest way to extract them from the hose:

th_reusing_barbed_inserts_01_zps7335f3a1.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_02_zps78786e52.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_03_zps0a3af1fd.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_04_zps99345614.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_05_zpsf111454f.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_06_zps532506d1.jpg th_reusing_barbed_inserts_07_zpscd3098b3.jpg

Yes, you can use generic olives (I buy them in bags of 100 for £7.55). Just make sure that they are roughly the same shape; and you must observe a few extra steps when fitting them.

th_generic_olive_zps251e318f.jpg

And, yes, you can use generic mineral oil too (even though Shimano says you can't).

622027?$PDP_MAIN$

Now, since you have this knowledge at hand, there will be no excuses for leaving a bird's nest at the front of your bike.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    bikaholic what are the extra steps for generic olives? ...also is that the actual oil you use in place of the shimano stuff?

also was quite curious where you get the shimano banjos and how to attach them?

Dan
  • Does anyone know what the id is of the new BH-90 hose? Is it 2.3mm or is that the old hose?
  • mclark999 wrote:
    Does anyone know what the id is of the new BH-90 hose? Is it 2.3mm or is that the old hose?
    BH90 is 2.1mm
    jerryfudd wrote:
    fyi when i incorrectly cut the hose on my XT brakes I was able to replace with the Zee one as thats all they had available - just discard the supplied bolt and used the old one.

Dan

The zee brakes uses bh90 hoses.
    jerryfudd wrote:
    ...also is that the actual oil you use in place of the shimano stuff?

Dan
    IME if using bh90 hose, stick with shimano oil as it's less viscous compared to other oils.
    With their old systems it's fine to use. However, with their new brakes and narrower hoses it's just asking for trouble.
    I know this as I have done it. I used castrol LHM with my XT M785's. It worked nicely for a year but when it's tine to change the pads and rebleed the system, i had problems with leakage and slow lever action.
    I replaced the levers then the calipers and the problem persisted!
    Then realise must be the hose, changed it. Slight improvement with the lever action.
    Rebled using shimano oil. It's now good as new.
    Padyak rider
  • I fitted a chrome Deore XT lever to a bh59 hose connected to a M355 brake caliper and it works fine, just as good as other full xt brakes (lever/hose/caliper) that I've had tbh. But I was told by my LBS i should of used the proper bh90 hose for it, but he also couldn't tell me what the negative affects are of using the bh59. So I can't tell the difference myself