New XC Racer buying advice

rastapasta
rastapasta Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, Ive started XC racing this year and my current weapon, an upgraded 2011 Specialized Hardrock is starting to fail me (although it got me through a 24 hour race at the weekend with plenty of input from our resident mechanic...) plus I am running a substantial weight handicap against my carbon riding colleagues. So... In a few months I want to buy a dedicated XC racer. I would like a 29er carbon hardtail but after that I have no idea what to look for/buy. Has anyone any ideas as to a good XC racer. My budget is 2200stg.

Many thanks!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's an stg?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    cooldad wrote:
    What's an stg?

STerlinG or GBP, had to Google it though! :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why would you not just put "£"?! How odd.

Anyway...

Either a Canyon, or I'd get a carbon 29er frame from On One, or one of these, with some of their carbon wheels, a SID fork, an SLX or XT groupset (1 or 2 x10) from Germany and some finishing kit from someone like Mt Zoom.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    njee20 wrote:
    Why would you not just put "£"?! How odd.

Maybe the OP has one of them their foreign keyboards that don't have the "£" sign.

Or, heaven forbid, the OP may not even be British and had gone to great lengths to convert their local currency to a value us Brits could understand in the knowledge that most people on here are British.

It isn't really that much of a leap to connect a figure (for example "2200" )and "stg" to be two thousand two hundred pounds sterling is it?
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited August 2013
    It isn't really that much of a leap to connect a figure (for example "2200" )and "stg" to be two thousand two hundred pounds sterling is it?

I didn't have the slightest idea, but then I went on to actually make a suggestion as to the bike, so y'know...
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    I recently got a Canyon AL 8.9 and cannot belive the difference in times (on strava) compared to my cube acid (upgraded to SlX and Crest wheels). I would highly recommend the Canyon. I was sceptical with the whole 29er idea until I rented one out at my local trail centre. The advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    AD1 wrote:
    I recently got a Canyon AL 8.9 and cannot belive the difference in times (on strava) compared to my cube acid (upgraded to SlX and Crest wheels). I would highly recommend the Canyon. I was sceptical with the whole 29er idea until I rented one out at my local trail centre. The advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

Nonsense - but they might be good if you are running against a clock or strava for whatever reason.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    AD1 wrote:

Nonsense - but they might be good if you are running against a clock or strava for whatever reason.

Why Nonsense??????

All the recent test comparing 29" to 26" have concluded that 29ers are quicker. I have ridden both and my times have also confirmed this fact. I'm just giving my opinion on what I have experienced.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Back on topic, the On-one dirty Harry has to be worth a look.
    but they might be good if you are running against a clock
    Lets see........
    rastapasta wrote:
    Hi, Ive started XC racing this year
    Oh yeah.....he is!

Instead of bickering can we try and keep on topic for RP!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Carbon cannondale in for sale section here could be worth a look . A 2013 model offers around £ 2950 posted today , nothing to do with me by the way :lol: