£400 for new wheelset, what should I buy?

Rustyy117
Rustyy117 Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys and girls,

I have a commencal premier plus 2011 that's been heavily upgraded, however the wheels (hubs, rims, spokes ETC...) are stock, see below:

Rims:
Jalco Double wall
Front Hub:
Commencal Disc brake hub 8/9-speed
Rear Hub:
Commencal Disc brake hub 8/9-speed
Spokes:
Stainless 64p 3x lacing black
26"

I'm not sure how much my current wheels weigh, I will try and find out tonight with some kitchen scales but my guess is they're pretty damn heavy.

Would it be worth upgrading them, and if so what would you buy for £400?

Not sure how important this is, but I weigh about 60KG and do mostly trail riding with alot of hill climbs and descents.

Thanks for any advice! 8)

Comments

• I can't recommend what would be suitable, or which wheel set is better than any other, but FYI, I just ordered Stans Arch EX on Hope Pro 2's from Cyclesportsuk for £291. I think that's pretty reasonable, then you'll have a ton left over for other goodies! ;-)
  • I can't recommend what would be suitable, or which wheel set is better than any other, but FYI, I just ordered Stans Arch EX on Hope Pro 2's from Cyclesportsuk for £291. I think that's pretty reasonable, then you'll have a ton left over for other goodies! ;-)

I had a look at them and they do look sweet, the weight seems to be good for that price aswell.

I've also been looking at the hope hoop XC3 and 6 wheelsets, but still not sure what to go for... soo many choices. :shock:
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Same wheels that are on my Commencal Ramones 2013, I too are looking at upgrading wheels. Never weighed them but damn they're heavy.

After getting some advice on here and down at my lbs I am taking the plunge on Stans Flow / Arch on Pro2 evos. Should have them ready to put on my bike next week if I order today. Very good at £300.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Rustyy117 wrote:
    Hey guys and girls,

I have a commencal premier plus 2011 ....

.. I weigh about 60KG and do mostly trail riding with alot of hill climbs and descents....

I'd be looking at Stans Crest rims for you, they should be more than durable for you and weight less than the Arch EX or Flow suggested by others. You can run them tubeless very easily using standard tyres incase that might appeal to you.

I'd personally go for a Superstar wheelset using the Switch hubs. These are good reliable hubs not super fancy but work great and at a good price too. (and they don't make that silly clicking noise that Hope hubs do :wink: )
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I would agree on that, my bike is more all mountain, its a 150mm hardtail. I would want the extra strength with Flows/Arch of the weight advantage of having Crest rims. Plus I weigh alot more than 60kg :oops:
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938