look keo classic bearing replacement

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited October 2015 in Workshop
both of my look keo classic pedals have some play in them, and the left one seems to be making quite a loud click at the bottom of the stroke (although I've not categorically shown it's the pedals as yet - i'm going to run another set of pedals tonight and see if the noise persists).
Given the play in the pedals, I suspect it's them.

Has anyone changed the bearings on the keo classics before?

Does anyone have an instructions? or a spec for the bearings?

Thank you

Comments

• kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    I had a look into this earlier in the year and the little sealed bearing ring appears to be press fitted at the factory onto the axle with no real way to pull them off (I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have done it sucessfully anyway). Mine improved a lot just taking the axle out (you don't need the special splined tool just a pair of mole grips/vice and a bit of cloth to hold the splined bit carefully and then unscrew the pedal body) - giving everything a good clean and then regreasing the whole internals (obviously this doesn't help the sealed bearing units but it all worked much better afterwards). HTH
  • shefbiker
    shefbiker Posts: 255
    thanks for taking the time to reply. i'll give that a whirl.

for the record, I've also spoken with the distributor who confirmed that the axle is supported on a cartridge bearing that is effectively part of the axle, and a needle roller bearing at the outboard end. you can replace the axle/bearing as a unit, but if the needle bearing goes then the pedal is dead.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Instead of the approach of using molegrips etc - you can try a 19mm ring or box spanner, they are hand tight only - break the nut and the pedal is for the bin.
    regrease the axle and reassemble - all keo's have some play and careful tightening of the plastic nut can eleminate some of it....for a while.
    be aware that the plastic nut is a left hand thread on one of the pedals.
  • I have 2 look keo sets of pedals. A "classic" and an "easy". Both sets of pedals now run new bearings which I installed myself by replacing the old ones with a bearing extractor. It can be done, dont be fooled by people who just cant be bothered to put some muscle to it. The replacement bearings are the 6800 and skf calls them 61800. The only problem might be if the play is from the internal bearing which seem to be fitted as part of the plastic casing and it was the case with one of my keo "easy" ones. It still runs way better though with the new external bearing.