Upgrading crankset on a 2012 Boardman HT Comp

clydefrog
clydefrog Posts: 162
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After having nothing but problems with the bottom bracket on this bike:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_comp.html

and after somehow stripping the thread in the crankarm when trying to remove it which has resulted in Halfords having to saw the thing off, I need to buy a new crankset and bottom bracket.

I am looking at this Shimano Deore M590 crankset/BB:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165545

and it has the same amount of teeth as the current crankset (44/32/22T) meaning I won't have to change the chain or cassette right? I just wanted to see if there is anything I haven't thought of that will mean this crankset is unsuitable for the bike as it is e.g. the front derailleur or anything else.

Also does anybody have any opinions of whether it is worth spending about twice as much for the Deore XT M770 instead. Really I'd rather not as I didn't want to spend over £100 but I'm wondering how much better it will be in reality, also considering I mainly use the bike on towpaths and roads and not for anything special.

Cheers.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd say the Deore is the one to go for but it can be had for cheaper elsewhere;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod40496
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    edited August 2013
    if you want to upgrade consider getting the SLX crank - only weights 38gs more than the XT and that's the different chainrings but cheaper
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    38g MORE.......

Is the BB pressfit or threaded?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No the FSA doesn't use the same BB as XT....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    No the FSA doesn't use the same BB as XT....

thought he ment the shimano one :(
  • clydefrog
    The Deore XT uses the same BB as the SLX, the BB70. The one that was on my bike was an FSA PowerDrive and it was on its 4th one in just over a year with not even loads of use, they are bad.

I chose the normal Deore M590 in the end, I decided it wasn't worth paying twice as much for something that is likely not nearly twice as good for how I use the bike anyways. It seems to have a good reputation and good reviews in most places so hopefully it was a good decision. The guy in Halfords recommended me an FSA Gamma Drive with a MegaExo type BB but I didn't really read good things about it and it also cost £36 more than the Deore chainset.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Deore is fine, but the BB is a bit marginal. When it goes replace it with an XT or XTR BB - much better sealing and still only around £20.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    cooldad wrote:
    The Deore is fine, but the BB is a bit marginal. When it goes replace it with an XT or XTR BB - much better sealing and still only around £20.

Ah so it will be compatible with the XT type then? Good to know I guess but I hope that I won't have to do it any time soon, although I'm not expecting it to last ages. I wonder in that case should I just order the BB70 as well and get them to fit that one instead of the BB51 that comes with it, and give me the BB51 as a spare?
  • clydefrog
    I'm thinking of maybe doing what I said above (buying the XT/SLX BB to be installed instead of the Deore one). Does anybody else who knows about them (and you cooldad) think it's worth doing?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No point. When it goes change it.
  • clydefrog
    Well I got the deore and Halfords installed it for me. They've put what I think must be 2.5mm spacers 1 on each side. My mate reckons that's not right, any thoughts?

Ps the bike has a 68mm bb shell width and normal type front derailleur.
  • cooldad
    Should have two on the drive side and one on the non drive side, assuming you don't have anything else BB mounted.
    If so, sort it out quickly or your new BB is toast.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    cooldad wrote:
    Should have two on the drive side and one on the non drive side, assuming you don't have anything else BB mounted.
    If so, sort it out quickly or your new BB is toast.

Ok thanks, So what size spacers should be on each side then? Also how come it needs another when the 2 on it have taken it up to 73mm? I'd just like to know so I don't phone them telling them it's wrong but not knowing why.
  • cooldad
    73mm BB shell gets one on the drive side. So 75.5mm total width. 68 needs three 2.5mm spacers.
    Tell them to read the fitting instructions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    Goddamn Halfords, knew I couldn't trust them to do it properly but didn't have much choice and they said they'd fit it for free.
  • cooldad
    £5 BB tool from Superstar plus the little plastic preload tool, which costs a couple of £s and DIY. It's a 5 minute job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    What's the plastic preload tool?
  • cooldad
    The tool to preload the bearings when you fit the cranks. Fits into the little plastic preload nut thingy.
    That's the technical term anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Is that just for the Shimano setup? I'll be needing to remove and refit my FSA Comet cranks and Mega Exo BB when my warranty frame arrives, but I think the preload bolt on that is a standard allen bit fitment.
  • cooldad
    Yep
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Cheers.
  • clydefrog
    Ok I just rang them, they said it can be different for different bikes, and if they put 2 on the drive side it would've knocked the chainline out with the cassette so they only used 1 on each side instead. Is this nonsense or is it true? I have a feeling they don't know what they're talking about for some odd reason...

If they're talking rubbish I think I'll just get my mate to add the extra spacer on there for me, don't think I trust halfords to do much with my bike anymore.
  • cooldad
    It's nonsense.
    If they'd but two on the non drive side it might make sense, but the spacers are there to space. The space between the cranks and BB is the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    :/

I just had another look and noticed they have filled in the drain hole in the bottom bracket shell with grease again as well, clowns.