Bike packing?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys.

Just wondering if there's any bike packers on here? Weather you've done it once or you do it often.

I really like the idea of it, Once I'm healed up and back at work (earning a full wage instead of rubbish sick pay) i'm gonna start saving up to get some bits together and hopefully give it a go.,

Any advice or tips on routes and gear?

Cheers.

Comments

  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is bike packing a new hobby, like would you pack it in cardboard or bubble wrap.
    Or just pack it in?
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    cooldad wrote:
    Is bike packing a new hobby, like would you pack it in cardboard or bubble wrap.
    Or just pack it in?

    Typical 'I'm the Bike Radar tw@t' reply from cooldad, Cheers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Is bike packing a new hobby, like would you pack it in cardboard or bubble wrap.
    Or just pack it in?

    I'm the Bike Radar tw@t Cheers.
    If you say so.
    I would never.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • What do you want to say with "Bike Packers" ?
    I'm not sure if i understand... You want to pack your bike (for travel in plane/train) or you want some tips to get some panniers on your bike and "run away from your life" ? :)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Lol, when I saw the title I thought it was going to be about wrapping your bike up safely for a flight or something... :D

    I remember seeing a thread about good tents to use once, but that was a good while back now.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    guilherme wrote:
    What do you want to say with "Bike Packers" ?
    I'm not sure if i understand... You want to pack your bike (for travel in plane/train) or you want some tips to get some panniers on your bike and "run away from your life" ? :)

    You are also a tw@t.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    People not understanding the terminology you use does not warrant abuse. If you want to discuss something that people don't seem to fully understand, the intelligent thing to do is to provide a definition. No more abuse, first warning.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Bikepacking.net is your best bet, or bearbones but it's a quieter forum.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Bikepacking.net is your best bet, or bearbones but it's a quieter forum.

    Cheers Angry Bird, looks like not everyone on here is a clown.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    What kind of kit are you looking at getting? I take it you've thought about the various options regarding bags, sleeping/shelters etc?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Always bargains to be had at Go Outdoors.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I not heard much about it on this forum but there is loonng thread on it on Single Track World.

    It looks fun and I'd like to try it but I don't have much of the equipment required and I don't want to spend loads of money on stuff I'd use many once or twice a year.