Trek 1.2c

lyricist65
lyricist65 Posts: 23
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys, new to this forum and new to road cycling.

am thinking about buying a (2nd hand) Trek 1.2c. i am just over 6ft and have been looking at 58cm frames.

can someone explain to me as a starting point how the compact model of this bike differs from the regular 1.2?

as a side point the seller has the receipt with the bike etc, and i am surprised how many clearly stolen bikes are on ebay - with plenty of bids might i add.

shocking.

thanks in advance

andreas

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Compact usually refers to the front gearing and tends to mean a chainset with 50 and 34 tooth rings (a "50/34"). Alternatives are a standard (typically a 53/39) or a triple (typically a 52/42/30).
  • Right, thanks fro the quick response. Is it something that will really affect the ride of the bike? i realise this is probably a pretty stupid question

ta
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    Will not affect the handling of the bike, but will mean that you have easier gearing than a standard fron gearing of 53/39. But it's much of a muchness in my opinion.

If you want to fly on the flat and have no intention of going up any steep hills then a standard is fine, if you like the steep stuff then a compact will have better gearing for high cadence steep(ish) climbs.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Nah, a double will be fine on that - they're entry level bikes, and fairly low geared.

Every Trek I've ever had has always been a bit of a reach; long top tube, stem, and the oddly large bars Trek fit made my 60cm frame feel too long for me at 6'4"

All in all, they're pretty viceless things, ally Treks. Won't set the world alight with their slack geometry, but they're a stable and dependable ride.

You'll probably need to replace the bar tape though - the stuff Trek used on the 1.x was thin, nasty and cheap.
  • sweet thanks for the help guys. you will no doubt see me on other threads with more basic questions! ta
  • lyricist65 wrote:
    Hi guys, new to this forum and new to road cycling.

am thinking about buying a (2nd hand) Trek 1.2c. i am just over 6ft and have been looking at 58cm frames.

can someone explain to me as a starting point how the compact model of this bike differs from the regular 1.2?

That *is* a regular 1.2. With that bike you have a choice of a compact double or a triple. Meaning there are either two or three chainrings on the front cog. Triples are favoured by those who want low gears to make it easier to climb hills. But the low gears are at the expense of some weight and mechanical complexity. Plus the biggest reason is that triples are not cool ;)
  • thanks mark
  • just thought id link a photo of it as bought:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UYLS ... 094341.jpg

virtually brand new, feel i got a very good deal, receipt included...
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I have a 1.1 which is the same but without the carbon fork. Good advice on the bar tape, mine's ready for the bin and I'll get something thicker and flatten the inside curve of the drops out for comfort. I also changed the cassette from the Shim 12-25 to a SRAM 11-28 to get me up the lumpy bits, £8.99 I think and 5 mins for me to fit.
    I have the 56cm frame and I'm 5'11".
    Good luck.