Questionnaire: Would you pay for an extended warranty?

Ste-robbo
Ste-robbo Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi All,

My first post on here but I am on a couple of other forums. A friend of mine works within the insurance industry and is the go to guy for new ideas and projects. I approached him a while back about offering an extended warranty service on bikes and also a separate warranty scheme for used bikes so you can get those bargain second hand bikes and still have warranty to rely on. He seemed pretty interested in the basic concept if I can come up with some figures so here I am.. Basically I would really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two out of your time to answer the below.

Hopefully if I can get something going it would be a good idea for us bikers as I have seen numerous cases of frames getting seriously damaged out side of warranty or bought second hand. Anyway here we go:

Did you buy your bike brand new or second hand?
What did you pay?
What would you be happy to pay for an annual warranty policy if it covered all your criteria?
Would you prefer to pay annually or monthly?
Would you consider second hand if this was available?

As said hopefully this will come about as I think it will benefit a lot of riders and give us a little bit of extra peace of mind if your warranty has expired or you buy used.
I am trying to get the T&C's to be very close to the manufacturers so all reasonable grounds are covered.

Thankyou for you time.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Extended warranties are, without exception, a con.

So I'm out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:

So I'm out.

Agreed.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:

So I'm out.
    +potato.
    And besides, Marin just sort things out without complaint, so I couldn't care less.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Bought a new giant, frames have a lifetime warranty. So no thanks
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bought a new giant, frames have a lifetime warranty. So no thanks
    Well, Giant do that, until you actually need something.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant sorted my Reign X frame under warranty three times, no questions.
    Warranties are (with a few exceptions) pretty good so no.
  • 97th choice
    Well, Giant do that, until you actually need something.

I've heard the opposite, but unless I toast my frame I'm not really in a position to find out definitively.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Maybe it depends on the dealer then.
  • cooldad wrote:

So I'm out.

/endthread
  • Good bit of input here, cheers guys.
    I may go back to the drawing board and look in to it again, I think with good T&C's, none of the typical sh*t they put in then it could be a good option for SOME bikers or my friend mentioned the bicycle insurance route which I am not so keen on.

Thanks again.
    End thread :)
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Even with a Warranty, if Evans are your dealer it's classed as wear & tear what ever it is. Would seem pointless in the hope of having an extended warranty when a warranty does not mean anything if your unfortunate to have dealt with evans cycles!!!
  • Correct, I have heard numerous stories or terrible warranty plus a lot of manufacturers will not honour it once the bike is sold. I was hoping to get some 'real world' T&C's on there which would actually benefit us rather than a way for them to dodge it..
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wouldn't do it, not worth it IMO.

I'd suggest your issue will be that you'll have to get the manufacturers on side in order to have access to the parts - frames and forks etc. There's no real reason for the manufacturers to get involved, so I suspect it'll be a bit of a brick wall.
  • 97th choice
    Only way I can see it working is if you engage with the bike shops so they offer it at time of purchase.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But they still won't have access to the parts necessary, unless you propose giving a new bike when the frame breaks on a £500 bike, the manufacturers won't supply them.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Doesn't really work with cars at present, won't work with bikes either.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.