RLS100 2014

Comments

• Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Does anyone think that the ballot for 2014 will give preference for people that participated in the 2013 event (prefential and not guaranteed entry i mean) ? Nice touch if it does !!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,899
    Rich_E wrote:

Ride London is run by exactly the same people who run the London Marathon. I guess you didn't realise that, but its likely one of the reasons everything was run so smoothly, as they have such great experience with mass participation events.

what a surprise :wink:

its going to be a massive success..... I think i'll sit this one out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Does anyone think that the ballot for 2014 will give preference for people that participated in the 2013 event (prefential and not guaranteed entry i mean) ? Nice touch if it does !!!

Who knows what criteria they will use.

What is clear is that they based this years on whether you had taken part in other major sportives, with a link to finishing times to back that up. Then of course if you were a woman it was highly likely you would get a place due to lower numbers applying in comparison to men.

As discussed, I would think that its more likely they will give ballot places to people who aren't hugely experienced sportive riders this time. Whether having taken part in this years event will count for or against you is anyones guess.

How does it work with the Marathon?
    If you get in, are you unlikely to get in the next year?
    Its probably difficult though to use that to gauge it as the Marathon ballot is massive and so many people apply.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Rich_E wrote:
    Its probably difficult though to use that to gauge it as the Marathon ballot is massive and so many people apply.

I know one of my friends got in because a/ she is a she, and b/ she can run very fast. She was surprised by this. I think they may reserve places in the Marathon for people who can really run, she had to show evidence of her half marathon time, which was chuffing quick and they said you're in.

Maybe it will go this way in the future where they have banded groups and so many places available. She got put in the group the one under the pro-atheletes.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • From the sound of things she got a good for age place - http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.co ... e-entries/

I'm not sure this method is really transferable to RLS, given that there are large number of race licences holders of all categories who never ride sportives, but would be competitive in a mass start sportive. To put this in context, a few couple of friends of mine who finished in the top-40 of the RLS aren't competitive at National B level....
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

I know one of my friends got in because a/ she is a she, and b/ she can run very fast. She was surprised by this. I think they may reserve places in the Marathon for people who can really run, she had to show evidence of her half marathon time, which was chuffing quick and they said you're in.

Maybe it will go this way in the future where they have banded groups and so many places available. She got put in the group the one under the pro-atheletes.

From my point of view it would be nice if they have a ‘Good for age’ category as they do for the London Marathon as I am sure that I would more than qualify. See: http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.co ... e-entries/
  • what criteria would you suggest?
  • It would be good if they assigned places from the ballot at random, which they almost certainly will. I mean, that's the point of ballot. If they were applying criteria to assigning places, it wouldn't be a ballot.
  • Ballot entered, the wait begins...
    I just read an article on the dangers of heavy drinking....
    Scared the shit out of me.
    So that's it!
    After today, no more reading
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Likewise
  • That's me registered, fingers crossed now!
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • Phil562
    Phil562 Posts: 73
    vamos tony wrote:
    Ballot entered, the wait begins...

+1
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Me too. February seems a long way off!
  • Im registered - Ride London have just posted that 23,000 have entered so far this morning.......
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I have thrown my hat into the ring. I donated my entry fee so I can get a second chance of getting in the ballot.

I expect I won't get in.

Positive thinking eh!
  • Is there any weighting given towards those who choose to donate? (other than the second chance draw?)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    getnoticed wrote:
    Is there any weighting given towards those who choose to donate? (other than the second chance draw?)
    No one knows. There was no apparent rhyme or reason to who got ballot places last time round, so there'll probably be none this time round either.

There was plenty of moaning and whinging last time when people didn't get a ballot place, despite donating / being experienced / not being experienced / having a bike / having ridden loads of sportives, etc etc.

So there will probably be even more this time round.

Best just to wait, then get on with some fundraising if you don't get a ballot place.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • rich_e
    Its worth pointing out that the ballot this time doesn't ask you to list any other major sportives you have completed with links to the official timings. This time its just Ride London 2012 and finishing time, whether you have done London to Brighton or London to Paris and if you are a member of a gym.

This I think reflects how like they said they are going to open it up more to anyone this time, where as previously there was clearly a weighting towards experienced riders.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    Its worth pointing out that the ballot this time doesn't ask you to list any other major sportives you have completed with links to the official timings. This time its just Ride London 2012 and finishing time, whether you have done London to Brighton or London to Paris and if you are a member of a gym.

This I think reflects how like they said they are going to open it up more to anyone this time, where as previously there was clearly a weighting towards experienced riders.

If you say you did not do the ride this year it then does present you with a list of other sportives and asks if you completed any of these.
  • rich_e
    Erurainon wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

If you say you did not do the ride this year it then does present you with a list of other sportives and asks if you completed any of these.

Ah I see.
  • brettjmcc
    Anyone else getting annoyed with Charity emails hitting their inbox with place guarantees, but not mentioning minimum sponsorship amounts?

Before anyone has a go, I don't mind raising the money (if I don't get in through the ballot or a team club entry if they do that again), but I do like transparency. I clicked on the AMR link I have been sent twice now and they expect you to register (£50) without saying how much just:

'Charities allocate places to those who raise between £600 - £700. Action Medical Research allocates its places based on a variety of factors, fundraising ability being one of them.'
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Der Kaiser
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Anyone else getting annoyed with Charity emails hitting their inbox with place guarantees, but not mentioning minimum sponsorship amounts?

Before anyone has a go, I don't mind raising the money (if I don't get in through the ballot or a team club entry if they do that again), but I do like transparency. I clicked on the AMR link I have been sent twice now and they expect you to register (£50) without saying how much just:

'Charities allocate places to those who raise between £600 - £700. Action Medical Research allocates its places based on a variety of factors, fundraising ability being one of them.'

One charity asked me how I was going to raise the money other than through donations. How much are the organisers charging charities if they have to insist on several hundred quid before you can ride?

If it was something like £100 then I would prefer to pay this and raise as much as I can rather than be set a minimum target.
  • Der Kaiser
    Just been told that they will be letting people know if they have got in or not in Decemeber apparently.

Any one else heard this?
  • Der Kaiser wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:

One charity asked me how I was going to raise the money other than through donations. How much are the organisers charging charities if they have to insist on several hundred quid before you can ride?

If it was something like £100 then I would prefer to pay this and raise as much as I can rather than be set a minimum target.

Put yourself in the charities' position. Would you give the place to someone guaranteeing £100 with the aim of raising an unspecified amount above that, or someone guaranteeing £650 with the aim of raising more?

I don't see the problem with what they're doing.
  • brettjmcc
    Put yourself in the charities' position. Would you give the place to someone guaranteeing £100 with the aim of raising an unspecified amount above that, or someone guaranteeing £650 with the aim of raising more?

I don't see the problem with what they're doing.

I agree. I raised over £3k in 2012 for BHF riding Paris to London, the minimum target was £1500. Like I said I don't mind trying to raise money for worthy causes like GOSH [because one of my best mates son spent over half a year there with a heart condition and literally is a little walking miracle].

I just don't like the fact they don't call it out upfront, but then again I am having a bad day having lost the hearing in one ear for some reason (at least it's amusing everyone because I appear to have lost the ability to regulate volume and keep shouting :o )
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • rich_e
    Der Kaiser wrote:
    Just been told that they will be letting people know if they have got in or not in Decemeber apparently.

Any one else heard this?

I don't think thats the case.

They made it quite clear that this would be the same as 2013 with the ballot results being announced by magazine and then e-mail in early February.

Also, I noticed that when they posted on Facebook this morning that 23,000 people had already registered, somebody asked in the comments whether if the ballot closed early due to being filled, would the results be announced earlier. The Ride London response was that this would not change and it would still be February regardless of whether the ballot fills or not.
  • Der Kaiser
    Rich_E wrote:
    Der Kaiser wrote:

Any one else heard this?

I don't think thats the case.

They made it quite clear that this would be the same as 2013 with the ballot results being announced by magazine and then e-mail in early February.

Also, I noticed that when they posted on Facebook this morning that 23,000 people had already registered, somebody asked in the comments whether if the ballot closed early due to being filled, would the results be announced earlier. The Ride London response was that this would not change and it would still be February regardless of whether the ballot fills or not.

I am just going on what they told me on the telephone when I phoned about the donating the entry fee to the London Sports charity.

I am glad they didn't make you list loads of sportives and times. That was a right pain last year.

It's a shame they don't have a stand by list for riders who have to pull out. I am sure there are plenty of people who miss out on the ballot and live in the London Area who would jump at a late entry if it came up. Maybe it is too tricky to manage.
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    I must say, I'm glad they didn't ask for the entry fee up front then refund it if you don't get a place. Nearly decided not to bother when I saw the price!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Emphursis wrote:
    Nearly decided not to bother when I saw the price!

I could think of a lot worse ways to spend £48. Seems good value to me.

Just do the route for free on one of the other 364 days of the year then ;-)

I wonder how high the entry would need to be before it put enough people off except to fill the available places?
  • Carbonator wrote:
    I wonder how high the entry would need to be before it put enough people off except to fill the available places?
    Run it as a combination of a Dutch auction and a series of mini-ballots. Start with a ballot for a number of places at, say, a grand, close and draw it after a couple of weeks, drop the price according to the level of under/oversubscription then repeat until all ballot places have gone. That would give an idea of the actual value of places. Okay, it would also be grotesque for a whole raft of social reasons, but it would get a number out the other end and also get pretty close to maximising organiser revenue.
    Mangeur