The perfect chip

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Giving my homestay foreign student a taste of British cuisine.
I have read up a bunch of "so called" experts and have the following as a reasonably easy, do-able perfect chip:
Maris Piper chipped in various sizes
Rinse for a few seconds then drain and pat dry (to remove surface starch)
Fry for 4-5mins at low temp
Cool down
Fry for 2 mins at high temp

Low temp is browning a cube of bread in 1 min
High temp is similar within 45 seconds.
Fry in veg oil because I don't have a bucket of lard to hand.

Do any of you cakestoppers make your own chips ?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Chip frying temperatures are key to avoid too much oil absorption, use a jam thermometer,130c and 190c using your method. Maris piper or king edwards are best as they hold less moisture:D

I don't eat potatoes, oven roasted sweet potato for me :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mrs C makes fantastic triple cooked chips. No idea how though, guess that doesn't help much :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Triple cooked are as per OP's method but blanched first. Far better than double cooking.

Also, use beef dripping or lard. Go to the shop if you haven't got any! Sunflower or veg oil okay, but really not as good.

Don't overfill the fryer or pan, it will cool the oil too much. Multiple small batches works better.
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    Definitely triple cooked.
    I've done them a la Heston and despite the fact he can massively over complicate anything the chips were awesome. Chip the potatoes then rinse under running water. Simmer without salt until they are almost falling apart, about 20 minutes ( i got nervous that i'd be left with watery mash but if you're gentle it's fine) then you have to lay them out on a cooling rack and put them in the freezer for an hour. fry at 130 c then drain, back on the cooling rack and freeze again for an hour. Finally fry at 180 until golden brown.
    It is a faff but they were the best chips I've ever had, (other than ones out of the paper at the seaside with the kids but that's more about the whole experience)!