New trail bike

tom_3942
tom_3942 Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
So i've just got back from Mozine and Les Gets and realise that my Trek Fule Ex 9 was not the right bike to have used, Not enough travel in the forks and the Avid breaks were shocking! I've had it for a few years now and have kind of outgrown it and am now looking for something more aggressive purpose built for places like the Alps. So far i've been looking at the Trek remedy 8 or 9 (which a friend of mine has) or possibly even a Santa Cruz Bronson. what should i be looking for and has anyone got any other suggested models that i should look at?

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    How much travel are you looking for?
  • Dan-Coll
    Dan-Coll Posts: 40
    What about a Transition Covert? I had one as a demo and loved it!

Also what price are you looking at?
  • ej2320
    Dan-Coll wrote:
    What about a Transition Covert? I had one as a demo and loved it!

Also what price are you looking at?

I was gonna mention that, full 160 with agressive DH focused geometry

The Bandit ain't bad either

Santa Cruz is expensive and actually a total rip off on full builds so customs builds probably better

Orange Five or Alpine worth a look

Banshee Rune

Specialized Stumpjumper or Enduro

They're all a bit burlier than the trek fuel which Im guessing is what you're after
  • Dan-Coll
    Also got to get a plug for Knolly in here. If you want more downhill focused 160 travel have a look at the Chilcotin or more trail focused the Endorphin which is the bike I went for which has less travel but felt spot on for UK riding.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Devinci Dixon? Norco Range Killer B? Giant Reign? Nukeproof Mega AM or Mega TR?

Last one is on my list.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Minimum travel of about 150 - 160mm due to how things were this last week in France and the price could go up to about £4500 if i fall in love with the bike enough. I do like the DH so would like a bike that could handle that but i'm more often in either south or north wales at places like Afhan. I rented a Nukeproof Mega a while ago and it was mega but i can't stand Avid breaks
  • Dan-Coll
    For that price you can just buy the frame and build the bike exactly how you want it.
  • ej2320
    Look at what the Enduro riders are using, they're the sort of bikes you are interested in

You could also get a carbon bike for that price

The new 2014 GT Force Carbon looks good and is Dan Athertons current ride

This Whyte looks good http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 6&xSec=110
    They're avid brakes but they are the top of the range
  • I didn't think about building my own bike that kind of sounds like a cool thing to do. I've got a big list of bike to research now so a good start i think. Thanks for the advice all keep it coming if there's anything else
  • ej2320
    Eurobike is at the end of August and basically all the 2014 bikes are revealed along with cost

You will find it much easier to get researching after that rather then sifting through the vague info on 2014 at the moment

If you're building a bike you will need to either buy quality tools (Unless you have them) or get a LBS to help you install the parts you don't have the tool for
  • Building a bike is easy, a cheap shimano specific toolkit for 30 quid is all you need. However, things like facing a bottom bracket and getting a headset pressed in is best left to a bike shop. For 4.5k i'd be building it myself, and probably have change left over!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    might want to think about running a coil shock rather than air
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    POAH wrote:

Why? A coil shock on a trail bike is complete overkill. Today's air shocks are bloody impressive, absolutely no need what so ever for a coil shock.
  • poah
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Why? A coil shock on a trail bike is complete overkill. Today's air shocks are bloody impressive, absolutely no need what so ever for a coil shock.

how is a coilshock overkill and WTF is a trail bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

A trail bike is what you recommended a shock for....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Overkill because they're heavy, a pain to tune for different rider weights as it means changing springs, most coil shocks have no form of platform damping these days as they're designed purely for DH bikes and air shocks are so good these days unless heat build is a serious issue and on a trail bike it normally isn't. So basically a coil would add weight for absolutely no reason or any performance benefit. It's why practically every bike sold now with less than 160mm of travel is fitted with an air shock because for that application, they're just better suited.
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

doesn't really answer my question though does it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

doesn't really answer my question though does it.
    wtf?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Overkill because they're heavy, a pain to tune for different rider weights as it means changing springs, most coil shocks have no form of platform damping these days as they're designed purely for DH bikes and air shocks are so good these days unless heat build is a serious issue and on a trail bike it normally isn't. So basically a coil would add weight for absolutely no reason or any performance benefit. It's why practically every bike sold now with less than 160mm of travel is fitted with an air shock because for that application, they're just better suited.

The OP wants a bike with of 160mm travel that is more aggressive purpose built for places like the Alps pretty sure a coil fits the bill.
  • lawman
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Bikes-of-t ... eries.html

24 bikes from the first EWS round in punta ala, and as you can see no coils in sight. There was a time a few years ago coils in that kind of terrain were common, but as I say nowadays you just don't need them, extra weight for IMO no improvement in performance. In fact many bikes days are designed around air shocks and work awfully with a coil shock, slapping a coil shock on a bike doesn't necessarily make it any better.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Personally I'd recommend a Yeti SB-66 but I'm sure the haters will be along to shoot that down :cry:

How about a Trek Slash 9? Three of my mates ride them and love them.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    POAH wrote:

A friend of mine tried this on an Orange (I don't know the model, but it is a big chunky one). Weighed a ton and he soon switched it to an air shock.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets