Anyone running Sram short cage derailleur with 32 teeth?

Mrtennis
Mrtennis Posts: 153
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I'm wanting to run an 11-32 tooth cassette, with a compact crankset. From what I've read, the short cage sram rival rear mech isn't designed to be run with this setup. A lot of people also seem to mention though that the cage length is actually to do with whether you are running a double or triple up front.
So is is anyone actually running an 11-32T cassette, with a compact double and using a short cage sram derailleur?
I've just bought both the derailleur and the cassette. And when the derailleur arrived today this problem occured to me.
So if it's not possible then I will still be on the search for a medium cage derailleur, if anyone wants to swap or has one to sell :)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's also the distance between the top jockey wheel and the big sprocket that is the issue - short cage SRAM mechs are designed for 28 large sprocket. The length of the rear mech cage also dictates the capacity of the mech i.e. the amount of slack in the chain that can be taken-up i.e. between small chainring / small sprocket and large/large respectively. With a double transmission its typically a maximum capacity of 33 teeth, whereas with an 11-32 cassette and 34/50 chainset, you need a capacity of 37 i.e. long-arm mech.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mrtennis
    Mrtennis Posts: 153
    I know you say short cage mechs are "designed" for no more than 11-28T cassettes. But is that just marketing shpeel from sram, or is it a fact that they can't be used with a 32T cassette?
    Sorry, not dismissing your knowledge or anything. Just I've read a lot about "teeth capacity" and so on, and it's just....going in one eye and straight out the other! Is it actual facts or just beliefs of how they should work?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It should work, but you won't be able to use all your gears, so really, it won't work.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mrtennis wrote:
    I know you say short cage mechs are "designed" for no more than 11-28T cassettes. But is that just marketing shpeel from sram, or is it a fact that they can't be used with a 32T cassette?
    Sorry, not dismissing your knowledge or anything. Just I've read a lot about "teeth capacity" and so on, and it's just....going in one eye and straight out the other! Is it actual facts or just beliefs of how they should work?

you are getting confused.
    you have two things to consider big cog size and your total gear range.

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    By all means try and run a short cage with a 32 sprocket, but if it goes wrong it's expensive as the rear mech gets wrapped around the cassette and if you're lucky, you'll bend/break your chainstays too and maybe collapse the rear wheel.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hey there, I just came across your old posting and was wondering if you ever ended up running a short cage sram rear derailleur with an 11-32 cassette?? Thanks for your time, David
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No don't. It will not work. You need a Wifli rear derailleur. They're cheap enough so why risk damaging the existing derailleur and the bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    a long cage SRAM Apex or rival rear mech is South of £40. Compared to the cost of repairing the mess a ripped off mech makes, it pennies. It's a 4 tooth jump and the short cage just about accommodates the 28T sprocket. If you want to run a 32T, you 100% need the medium cage RD.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Im running an apex with the 11-32cassette, you do need the medium cage with the WiFli. Its £34 on CRC currently for the Apex version.
  • I have two bikes, both with scram red 22 throughout. One has a short cage rear mech and one has a medium cage rear mech. I have several sets of wheels and blocks and when I swap things around to get the configuration I want for the event that I'm entering the short cage rear mech won't work with the larger block. It simply can't cope with the range of teeth
  • check durianriders youtube
    now this relates to dura ace
    everyone says it won't work, you can't do it just misinformation bla bla
    he runs a 32' ultegra works fine, short cage dura ace
    he tells you they say it won't work
    just check it out
    all the so called experts are wrong! don't know zippy
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    sidedoor wrote:
    check durianriders youtube
    just check it out

Durianrider is also known to talk bollox quite a bit. Probably all those bananas or a throwback from his previous lifestyle.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Freke
    Freke Posts: 1
    sidedoor wrote:
    check durianriders youtube
    just check it out
    philthy3 wrote:
    Durianrider is also known to talk bollox quite a bit. Probably all those bananas or a throwback from his previous lifestyle.

He does say that it works on his bike and might not work on difrent hanger/dropout designs and because of that the retailers cant sell them saying it will work..
    philthy3 wrote:
    No don't. It will not work. You need a Wifli rear derailleur. They're cheap enough so why risk damaging the existing derailleur and the bike.
    :!: :arrow: :idea: This is true, I bought the 11-32 and tryed it on a short cage. Not even close. WI de range, F ast and LI ght... WIFLI rear mech is needed. :!: :!: