Wheels upgrade - What hubs?

brucie45
brucie45 Posts: 279
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Yep me again. Need your guys advice please.

Upgrading my wheels this week. Narrowed it down to Stanz Crest rims (not sure on spokes yet). The problem is I am unsure on hubs. I am trying to get value for money. I do not know enough technically. Options are as follows;

F/R Wheels SLX hubs -£212.00
F/R Wheels XT hubs - £228.00
F/R Wheels Pro 2 EVO - £335.00

Is there any need to spend the extra to get pro 2 hubs? what would you suggest is the best for the money? My bike is trail use mainly on a 150mm hardtail.

Thanks guys
Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Anyone of those hubs are fine. The bearings on the hope hubs are not serviceable, although they are easily replaced. The bearings on the shimano hubs are cup and cone and require maintenance. Conversely, the Hope free hubs are serviceable, whereas the Shimano units arent.

I'd also be questioning your choice of Stans Crest rims on a long travel hardtail. You'd probably be better off with the Flow rims.
  • brucie45
    Thanks for your advice. It appears they are both an pain when it comes to servicing and maintenance. Performance wise/ weight wise I take it there is not much between them?

It was between Crest and Flows, my LBS pointed me more towards the Crest on a Pro 2 hub, but wasn't sure.
  • styxd
    Neither are a pain to service. If it was me, I'd get the Hopes due to the serviceable freehub and the fact that once the bearings are shot, you can just bray some new ones in. The hubs will last for ever (well not quite) and Hopes CS is great.

I'd definitely get Flow rims for a LT hardtail, I cant imagine Crests standing up to much downhill abuse on the back of a hardtail.

Also, get them built with some decent spokes - DT comps or Sapim Race. Don't go for the light weight option (or at least not on the back anyway)
  • brucie45
    Ok thank you for that.

I will go and get them priced up with better spokes and also Flow EX rims on a Pro2 or XT and see how much difference in cost they are.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Only thing I can offer is over £110 more is a lot of money for the Hopes, considering a tenner more could buy you TWO sets of these if or when they come back into stock:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html

Have you considered a Superstar set?
  • styxd
    Who is building them for you? The LBS?

If so, they will probably use DT comp or Sapim Race spokes as standard.

You could get a Flow on the rear and a Crest on the front.

Also, there is another rim (I think it's the Arch) that sits between the Crest and the Flow, could be worth considering.
  • brucie45
    Superstar are selling Black Switch EVO hubs on Mavic XM719, these any good for £200?
  • brucie45
    It is the 135mm hubs I will need? My bike is 15mm on the front and standard QR on the back.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Superstar; Crests or Flows on Switch EVO hubs for £200

Any colour rims you want...as long as they're white :wink: amazing deal though
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • styxd
    Ive heard mixed reviews about the Superstar wheel builds, if you get a good build then the deal is great. If not, then it might turn out more expensive in the long run.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd buy Superstar wheels again. However, I'd take them to the LBS before I fit them in future. Just add £20 to the price (unless you can do it yourself.)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    http://dirt.mpora.com/fresh-produce/dirt-100/2013-dirt-100-superstar-wheels.html

I've bought two sets and both spot on. Would have no problems buying another and always recommend them
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Superstar or Hope Hoops for sure, don't spec up a set using Hope hubs.
  • styxd
    njee20 wrote:
    Superstar or Hope Hoops for sure, don't spec up a set using Hope hubs.

If you use a good wheel builder and spec a set then you can choose whatever rims/hubs/spokes/nipples you like. And there'll be no question over the quality of the build.