Mavic Crossrides - Tubeless Conversion?

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anybody got any experience of converting Mavic Crossrides to run tubeless? I bought a Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 recently, which is fitted with Crossrides and TLR tyres, but still has tubes. However, I'd like to convert if possible.

Which kits work best and is it possible just to run yellow rim tape and tubeless valves with Stans goo and get a reliable seal?

Thanks
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Did you get anywhere with the tubeless conversion. I've got a set of 26" crossrides which I'm looking at running tubeless.
  • Alan P
    I'm just about to (well, late this week) give it a go with rim tape, Stans valves and some Stans sealant. It should work in theory, but it depends how well the rim tape works on the Mavic wheels. Might be a case of trial and error until I can find the right width tape, etc.
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • Antm81
    Did you go for one of the stans kits?
  • Alan P
    No, I've bought TESA 19mm rim tape and Stan's valves and Sealant
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • Antm81
    Let us know how you get on, hopefully can manage to get this sorted myself.
  • Alan P
    will do...
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • Alan P
    Hi, I set about this last weekend with some success. I used TESA 19mm yellow rim tape (got it from e-bay for less than £10 for 66 metres) and Stans No Tubes Presta valves (£12.99 for two from Merlin).

Stretch the tape hard around the rim and then make a small cut to push the valve through, use a coouple of cups of Stans goo and then inflate. I used a compressor (always do anyway) and after a bit of fiddling the tyre went up no problem and the rim held pressure.

My problem was the tyres, where the front simply bled through the tyre wall despite being a Rocket Ron TLR and the rear (a Racing Ralph TLR) has been punctured three times in the past few weeks and two of the holes were too big for the goo to cope so I had to fit tubes into both ends again :( However, the rims and the valves did seal ok.

I'll be getting some news tyres soon and will hopefully end up tubeless then!
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And by some success, do you mean abject failure?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alan P
    Well, yes, but only because the tyres aren't up to the job....the rims still sealed, which was my main objective and means that with some decent tyres they will run tubeless.
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)