Beauty errors on brand new Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0

Ulrik_Soerensen
Ulrik_Soerensen Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum and to road racing in general (and English is not my first language), so please forgive any mistakes on my part. :)

I've just purchased a Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0, which arrived yesterday (YAY!). Bu as I started to assemble the bike a few things became visible. They seem out of place to me, and I would call them beauty errors, but I would like a second opinion from someone, who knows more than me (ie. you! :))

1. bad job on the tape on the handlebar
txt2.jpg

2. No protection on the cables, when they enter the frame (bike has internal cables)
4lss.jpg

But there is protection where the cables comes out (I don't know the proper term, so I'll just call it protection)
s9f4.jpg

3. Bad paintjob on the fork. It looks like a sticker has been put on.
kfm9.jpg
geia.jpg
rwcr.jpg
vvy7.jpg

The dealer says, that both the paintjob and the cable protection is as it should be, but I would like to get your view on that.

Thanks for any advice, you can give me
Ulrik

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    The finish on the forks is normal, bare carbon can look like that, the bar tape just needs another loop of electrical tape, not sure about the other thing but I wouldn't let it stop me enjoying that bike
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The fork is normal - that's what UD carbon looks like.. not sure about the cabling though..
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Ulrik

My forks are the same, I assume its the weave of the carbon showing through. It doesn't bother me.

The ferrules and bar tape are non issues. Ferrules are not really required and you just need to tape over the bar tape with electricity tape.

Just ride your bike and you will soon forget about it.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The stem bolts on the face plate look a bit tight, you should check the bolts underneath, see if there is a big gap.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cables. two very different cables. look at each one seperatly and you will see that each is the same.

brake cable with ferrule and gear cable without.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yeah there is a serious beauty error on there. You went for shimano over campagnolo ;)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thank you all for you comments and good advice.
    @ Antfly: I'll definitely check out the stem bolts.
    @ NapoleonD: Campagnolo wasn't even an option from the dealer. I live and learn, I suppose. ;)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    edited August 2013
    When my Cube Agree arrived from the dealer, it was missing a grommet where the front derailleur cable exited the frame. The dealer told me there wasn't supposed to be one, but changed his mind when I showed them a photo from the brochure, showing it in place. They got on to Cube who sent out a batch of them, saying it was a build error.

It does happen, and that looks like there's a little rubber boot/grommet missing to me.
  • wheezee
    Take a look here: http://www.canyon.com/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3076

I can't tell. I concede I may be wrong.

Lovely bike, mind!
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Unfinished unidirectional carbon doesn't necessarily have moulding marks like those shown on the top of the fork legs. I've got an Easton EC90 setback seatpost that is uniform black.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    adamfo wrote:
    Unfinished unidirectional carbon doesn't necessarily have moulding marks like those shown on the top of the fork legs. I've got an Easton EC90 setback seatpost that is uniform black.

but it doesn't necessarily not have the marks either :wink:

img1115n.jpg
  • wheezee
    A high-gloss lacquer can disguise them, as well. Until they catch the light...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I like the marbling tbh.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I would say poor workmanship.....no one cares anymore.
  • wheezee
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I like the marbling tbh.

I agree, but it's less attractive when the marks are so widely spaced apart that they appear as blemishes rather than a randomised pattern.
  • Apart from the bar tape, looks perfect
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Evogirl
    Evogirl Posts: 25
    My forks on my Ultimate AL 9.0 are exactly the same but you are missing a grommet from your down tube.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would not be happy with that cable rubbing on alu without the protector, it looks recessed for the plastic cover as the other cable, also the bar tape is nothing but on a new bike shouldn't happen. If this were a lesser loved brand what would the comments be I wonder.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The Crouch End branch of Evans in London have one of these on display. The raw UD carbon suits the purposeful nature of the machine.

asset-46af2397b5d0abb85ff9f8bcc609929a.jpg

asset-e9a1b682c6118b7094fd6d71b52d4c8e.jpg

For a road bike I prefer a high quality paint scheme found on bikes like Bianchi
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    I think this post is pretty unfair on Canyon to be honest. The thread title is petty blunt yet I can't see an issue with any of the points you raise (even the bar tape issue is a non-issue for me - it looks like one of those new style rubber loops that you can just roll into place actually) and if you think how much great riding bike you've got for the money it's pretty harsh announcing that there are errors with your brand new Canyon bike. Just get out and ride it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I also think there should be a grommet where that cable enters the frame. Bit of a faff fitting one after the event though. The other stuff is trivial; naked carbon can look a lot worse.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    These bikes are bloomin' excellent value. I don't think the OP has anything to moan about.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    adamfo wrote:
    The Crouch End branch of Evans in London have one of these on display. The raw UD carbon suits the purposeful nature of the machine.

asset-46af2397b5d0abb85ff9f8bcc609929a.jpg

asset-e9a1b682c6118b7094fd6d71b52d4c8e.jpg

For a road bike I prefer a high quality paint scheme found on bikes like Bianchi
    i have one of those as my TT bike. i love the unfinished/rawness of the paintwork.
  • Nobby Nic
    Nobby Nic Posts: 119
    Hi, I have an Ultimate AL8 and I`m very, very pleased with it. Ive owned it from March new and its ridden brilliantly with no problems. The whole bike was perfect, especially the handlebar tape. :D

The handlebar tape looks very neat just maybe its been moved slightly in transit at the end, I would say this is extremely minor. The rest looks perfect in the background.

The forks are normal as previously stated bare carbon looks that way.

The grommet thing "I think" is normal too, mine is the same but my frame is white so it looks a bit different.
    I think there is no grommet thingy at the front as it needs to move where as the rear one doesn`t. :?
    BTW you can zoom on the canyon site to look at the bike pictures, view the white one and there is no grommet.

HTH although I think you have nothing to worry about. :D
  • Pic taken from the Canyon website:

25au5o0.jpg

It clearly shows the same Carbon 'blemishes' as your bike, and also the rubber grommet is missing, too. Looks like that's the way they are. I agree, it is bizarre that the cable entry hole doesn't have some kind of rubber/plastic protector, but it is what it is.

If you're not happy with your bike, I'll take it off your hands for a few hundred £'s ;)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Pic taken from the Canyon website:

it is bizarre that the cable entry hole doesn't have some kind of rubber/plastic protector, but it is what it is.

)

There is one I`ve checked, its just recessed and probably hard to see on the black version.