Manchester 100

davidefernandes
davidefernandes Posts: 54
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Anyone on here doing the Manchester 100? Just interested to see what sort of training people are doing? Also, has anyone been able to find a gpx route for it? I have one of a couple of years ago but I think it has changed?

Comments

• zingaiya
    zingaiya Posts: 52
    Signed up for the 100k, having never done more than 60k in a day before.

My training is 6k to the gym and back a few times a week midweek, a couple of long weekends at festivals, and an overwhelming, yet misplaced bout of optimism that it will all be fine.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Did it last year as my first 100k ride. I struggled a bit because I hadn't eaten enough. Watch your drinking and eating and you'll get round fine.
  • Zingaiya wrote:
    Signed up for the 100k, having never done more than 60k in a day before.

My training is 6k to the gym and back a few times a week midweek, a couple of long weekends at festivals, and an overwhelming, yet misplaced bout of optimism that it will all be fine.

You cycle at festivals? We may be going to different kind of festivals!

I'm the same btw, havent done more than 60 myself, will look to get up to 80 in a day before I do the 100 I think.

Re food, good advice, I think I'll make sure the mrs will meet me at a couple of the stops with all manner of food, plus pockets will be stuffed full! thanks!
  • zingaiya
    zingaiya Posts: 52
    No cycling at festivals, just large amounts of eating, drinking and being lazy.
    Given my expansive lard deposits, food probably won't be an issue, but I may fit another bottle cage for water.
  • Zingaiya wrote:
    No cycling at festivals, just large amounts of eating, drinking and being lazy.
    Given my expansive lard deposits, food probably won't be an issue, but I may fit another bottle cage for water.

ha I misread that as you were cycling at festivals, my mistake!

I prefer to use a camel pak for my water rather than multiple bottles, I get all shaky when leaning downto get the water bottles, plus can fit more in the pak. personal preference tho
  • Are you doing the 100k or the 100m?

If the 100k you will be fine, it's all flat apart from a small hill outside Byrely. I had built up to doing 60 milers regularly by the time I did it last year.

The 100m is a different matter as the extra 40 miles are a bit of a tester if you haven't done that far before. It's just extra distance and it's equally flat. I did the route solo as I felt 100k was easy by this point so went out and did the longer course alone a couple of weeks before.

Whichever just take it steady - jumping up to 100 miles isn't easy but it's doable. I did it alone, hungover and got lost and I still finished in reasonable shape. Just take it steady and you will get round.

One word of caution - last year was bonkers at the start - roads were very busy with all sorts of bad cycling going on. Just be careful and it improves as you get further into the course and the riders get strung out.

I think both courses are on Bike Toaster as gpx files.
  • cheers mate will have a look.

Doing the 100 miles option