Maiden Victory

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Finally got an outright race win in my Alfa Romeo Giulia GT. The annual AROC all-comers race at Mallory Park

Video here http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=-rJjPG-ROcs
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Nice work! Bit of geargox trouble around 9:54. "Get in you b*stard!"

Could do with a second camera to capture the guy chasing you down. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yeah - I got bored when you passed everyone :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yeah - I got bored when you passed everyone :wink:

You just had to hang tough until he started lapping people. O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congratulations.
    Looks like you have a quick car, you monstered your opponents on the straights and sliced through them on the corners.

I wonder about your race seat though. No head 'rest'? If the worst were to happen it looks like whiplash waiting to happen.

How old is your car? Power output? Top speed etc?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Looks like the car goes well, but it's the braking that sets you apart. Good drive.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    vermin wrote:
    Looks like the car goes well, but it's the braking that sets you apart. Good drive.
    Good point, your brakes are brilliant.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Excellent, well done. Can't watch the video as I'm on holiday and the connection is not great. I will be sure to have a look when I get back.
    Any changes to the car for this season, or was it just that everything came good together?
  • meanredspider
    Thanks all,

Well spotted on the braking. The brakes on my car were good but now they are awesome. Braking is one of the hardest things to master in motorsport (you have to creep up to the edge) so I'm still learning to make full use of them. It's also why I'm quite passionate (in case you hadn't noticed :oops: ) about disc brakes on bikes.

Oh, and, yes, my seat does have a headrest (it's actually the same model of Sparco seat as they sometimes use in TG's Reasonably Priced Car). I should, however, be wearing my HANS device (it won't help me in my kit bag).... :oops:

From the same race, see this for scary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Az6DrbONnI
    Taken from another car, the blue AlfaSud is my neighbour (skip to about 3/4 way through if you're bored). It all looks scary enough until the white car appears....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Great vid, the 2nd one is real brown trousers stuff!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    4:55 to be precise and astonishingly I dropped right on the incident when randomly picking a time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I love the noise of that Alfa. Will you be my dad please? :D
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nice work Stig!!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    Motors TV coverage of the racing (and maybe even see me interviewed though I hope not....) on Sky or Virgin Media and maybe even FreeSat. I'd record it though and skim through unless you love Classic Car racing

CLASSIC TOURING CAR CLUB FESTIVAL
    Saturday 31 August - 13:40 to 15:45

If it's got four wheels and a roof then chances are it will be competing in the Classic Touring Car Racing Club's Classic Festival at Mallory Park.

Next broadcast:
    Sunday 01 September - 1:05,
    Monday 02 September - 4:10,
    Monday 02 September - 14:15,
    Wednesday 04 September - 9:00