First time fitting a fork

Gibbo3771
Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, just got a hold of a Rock Shox Recon Gold on sale at merlin cycles. I am going to fit it to my Carerra vengeace (which i hope handles it, if not, aw well haha)

So I watched a video on how to do it, looks easy and I have experience cutting stone so metal should not be an issue.

I am a little concerned about my lack of tools, this video mentioned 1-2 things that I certainly don't have and tbh, would rather avoid having to buy :S.

The video is this one: (bad q but can see clearly what he is doing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86lBd4KwsM

He puts this thing in the steerer tube at this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KwsM&t=561

EDIT: quick google, silly me. It is called a STAR NUT.

Do new forks come with those? or can I reuse the one out of my old fork. With the force he is hitting it, looks like it's in there for life lol. Is it safe to install this with a hammer and something to strike?

He also uses this big chunky bit of metal, tube shaped and uses it to set the crown, is that really required...surely I can use one of my other many many tools? lol.

I can handle this pretty easily from the look of it, however...just those tools and that thing he puts in the steerer tube.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    First you will need to take the crown race off your old fork.
    Star nuts are available seperatly. You will need the orrect on for your steerer size and material.

And tbh forget the videos and read Parktools.

If you are changing the headset at the same time then crown race and star nut normally come with the headset. Tools needed for fitting most headsets.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gibbo3771
    nicklouse wrote:
    First you will need to take the crown race off your old fork.

Ok yeah, that looks easy enough, I think hehe.
    nicklouse wrote:
    Star nuts are available seperatly. You will need the orrect on for your steerer size and material.

The steering size is 1-1/8, it is these exact forks I bought:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html

Any recommendations on a starnut?
    nicklouse wrote:

And tbh forget the videos and read Parktools.

OK noted, thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A starnut is a starnut is a starnut. Buy two because I'll put money on you getting the first one in skew.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    For quick and nasty tools, a piece of wood works to seat the crown race, and a (longish) V brake pad screwed into the starnut gives something to hold and hammer on.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    cooldad wrote:
    A starnut is a starnut is a starnut. Buy two because I'll put money on you getting the first one in skew.

haha cheers for the confidence booster :D

So any starnut of the right size is fine then, I think that was the only thing I was struggling with.

Do starnuts fit any type of headset? I don't even know what mine is, it literally just says "Semi Integrated" on it, and on the spec sheet.
  • cooldad
    The starnut fits in the fork, the topcap bolt goes in the starnut. The headset is immaterial.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    cooldad wrote:
    The starnut fits in the fork, the topcap bolt goes in the starnut. The headset is immaterial.

Ahhh I see, man sorry for these stupid questions. I understand how it goes together now. I will get back to this thread tomorrow and let yah know how it goes.

Thanks!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    and sorry that is where you are wrong.

there are 2 versions for each steerer size. one for steel and one for alloy. try fitting one for an alloy steerer into a steel steerer and there is a very good chance it will fall straight through. and a one for a steel steerer can be a pain to fit in an alloy steerer.

normally people dont notice the difference as there are very few forks made with steel steeres to the high spec standard most are cheap forks and have thick walled steel steerers.

fun sorting out peoples problems when they get the wrong one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Apologies for the confusion, I meant that the make is not important. A £1.99 jobbie from Halfords does the job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    and sorry that is where you are wrong.

there are 2 versions for each steerer size. one for steel and one for alloy. try fitting one for an alloy steerer into a steel steerer and there is a very good chance it will fall straight through. and a one for a steel steerer can be a pain to fit in an alloy steerer.

normally people dont notice the difference as there are very few forks made with steel steeres to the high spec standard most are cheap forks and have thick walled steel steerers.

fun sorting out peoples problems when they get the wrong one.

Also noted, specs of fork say alluminium. Will make sure I get the correct one(s).
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    I've done a couple now and so so much easier with the tools for the job - these are the ones i picked up....

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38/e251/ice-toolz-crown-race-remover.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-TUBE-PIPE-CUTTER-3-30mm-COPPER-BRASS-ALUMINIUM-PLUMBING-WORK-HOME-BATHROOM-/130851348223?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item1e77591eff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclepro-Universal-Star-Nut-Setter-for-use-1-1-1-8-/180692977107?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item2a122405d3

need a crown race setter too but I just got some plastic tubing that fit exactly over the steerer and then up turn the fork and tap it on the floor to set - similar to this pic but i wouldnt hit it with a hammer as it might shatter the pipe and way more force than you need.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/binaryvisions/sovereign/DSC00033.jpg

Dan
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    do the bearings come with the headset?

I am due to replace my forks soon so a bit unsure what bits come with what.

Would it be easier just to buy new crown races etc, saving removing from old fork?
  • cooldad
    Headsets generally come with bearings – they’d be a bit useless otherwise, and a crown race, which is part of the headset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    shouldnt need to replace the headset if your just replacing the forks though.... just check the bearings over.

Dan
  • cooldad
    That's another person hijacking the thread.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    cooldad wrote:
    That's another person hijacking the thread.

Just thought the "first time fitting a fork" question would be suitably placed here as I am about to.
  • Gibbo3771
    Turns out my fork won't be here today :(.

I ordered it on the 5th @ 1230AM and was under the impression they would have dispatched it that day, to be here for the next, since I payed for next day delivery. Technically that means next day is never next day if they wait a day before dispatching it -_-

If you have ever been on overclockers, they dispatch it like right after you hit the confirm buy button! :p

EDIT: I emailed them, they offered me a refund on delivery, not too bad I suppose.
  • cooldad
    If it was CRC their standard free delivery is normally quicker than next day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    cooldad wrote:
    If it was CRC their standard free delivery is normally quicker than next day.

Nah it was from Merlin Cycles, CRC only had tapared forks on sale as well as recon silver coil and air.
  • Gibbo3771
    Back to the top.

So bit of a problem here, got my fork, cut it, fit it. All fine and dandy!

However....the maxle thing, seems to be no compatability with my wheel what so ever. The wheels are stock carerra vengeance, they have the standard slide into position and then tighten with quick release...do I need a new wheel?.. :(

EDIT: Damn yes I need a new wheel, 85 smackers for that haha. Will get around to that next week it seems, probably longer :(.
  • cooldad
    Oh dearie dearie me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    cooldad wrote:
    Oh dearie dearie me.

Yep shit happens, never read the description of the fork before buying. Pretty annoyed at myself, however will get a wheelset from chain reaction, they have a sale on :)
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    Back to the top.

So bit of a problem here, got my fork, cut it, fit it. All fine and dandy!

However....the maxle thing, seems to be no compatability with my wheel what so ever. The wheels are stock carerra vengeance, they have the standard slide into position and then tighten with quick release...do I need a new wheel?.. :(

EDIT: Damn yes I need a new wheel, 85 smackers for that haha. Will get around to that next week it seems, probably longer :(.

That is unfortunate but reading the whole post from the top I did 'lol' at this point. Nevermind ay, perfect excuse to upgrade your wheelset as well :lol:
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938