iTunes

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,158
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
It seems as though someone has mistakenly put my iTunes account details on their device and I keep ending up with the music they download coming into my account at no charge to me. Has anyone else had this? You would think they'd be wondering where their purchases are going! It doesn't seem to be an issue for me as I get all my own music and I'm not getting charges to my account for what they download - just a shame they have such sh** musical taste.

Comments

• Have you let anyone sign into your account on one of their devices by any chance? They have cloud services now, so things automatically get pushed to each device with the account logged on.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'm surprised you're not getting charged. I'd have thought you can only have one payment method at a time on the an account. They'd have needed your password too. In the your account settings you should be able to deauthorise all devices and then reauthenticate your own stuff one at a time. I'd reset your password before doing this.
  • Pross
    Nope, it's been doing it ever since I first set up an account about 3 years back so before iCloud. Also no-one I know has musical taste like this! Might contact Apple, I can't work out how it can happen. I can see someone with a similar email address using my address by accident but then the password wouldn't match up.
  • Pross
    Definitely not getting charged, have changed my password but can't find a way to de register all devices.
  • graeme_s-2
    I think it used to be a setting in one of the menu items in iTunes...
  • graeme_s-2
    Open iTunes on a computer
    From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."
    Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
    Under "Computer Authorizations" select "Deauthorize All".
    Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "deauthorize all" your authorized computers, authorize each one as required.
  • Pross
    I don't get the authorisation options on my iPad for some reason. Will try on my PC tomorrow. Thanks.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Isn't this just a case of iTunes automatically discovering shared music libraries over the network. Do you share network with someone else?
  • graeme_s-2
    ThomThom might be right here. The feature is called Home Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819
    You can also choose to have iTunes automatically import purchases you make on any of your Home Sharing computers to your own library. To do so, select the library and use the Settings button at the lower right of the iTunes window to check what you'd like copied.
  • graeme_s-2
    When you're next at your computer do the following:

Open iTunes
    Find a song that has appeared in your library that you didn't put there
    Right click on the song
    Click "Get Info"
    Look at the Summary tab
    Who is listed under the "Purchased by" and "Apple ID" headings?

For a track I've purchased myself it has my full name and my apple ID. Hopefully you should be able to find out who they're coming from!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You don't understand. If Apple is giving you this music, then it's because you really don't need any other music. In fact, you'll soon realise that you don't want any other music. All praise to Apple.