Need some help choosing a saddle for my gf

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,586
edited August 2013 in Women's cycling forum
Hello all,

after some help please.

Looking for a suitable saddle, as an anniversary present for my gf.

She has a Trek roadbike on which she uses a Specialized Jett 143 saddle (We tried a sitbone mesurement at home) and a Spesh Tricross that she rides just with the mens saddle it came with with no issue.

I could of course buy another Jett, but colours are deeply uninspiring, and I think the best I could do would be an all black one, which may be an option.

I have found what looks to be a perfect Fizik Arione Donna:
large-donna%20arione%20pur%20side.jpg
But the width is 130mm - so may be too narrow, then I found a Fizik Vitesse, which is a fair bit wider at 150mm......
They do not seem to make one at 140.......

Is the width of the saddle going to be completely mission critical, and if I were to go one way, is one way less likely to prove a disaster than another?

Two other options I have seen/have been mentioned are the Selle Italia Diva Gel flor, either in black with pink stitching, or plain white with a bit of pink:
selle-italia-diva-gel-flow-saddle.jpg
selle-italia-lady-diva-gel-flow-saddle-black-41459.jpg
But that says it is 160mm wide, although it predominantly gets rave reviews on Wiggle......

Additionally can anyone tell me if these are the same saddle:
Wiggle one says it is 152mm wide, CRC says 160mm :?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-ladies-diva-gel-flow-saddle/
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/selle-italia-diva-gel-flow-saddle/rp-prod56155?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Selle+Italia+-+Saddles|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:203620UK_Selle+Italia+Diva+Gel+Flow+Saddle&gclid=CP3WjNGR57gCFQKWtAodyncADg

And the Charge ladle in white with pinkish bits:
charge%20ladle%20white%20pink.jpg

And not sure if this will make any difference, or is worth mentioning, but she is going to be popping out a wee nipper very shortly, might her saddle needs alter after this event at all to a narrower/wider saddle that current?

I appreciate that the sensible thing to do would be to give her the bike with her old saddle for example, but I would like to try and buy a different matching saddle, and if it does not suit we can just sell it on.

At the mo I am erring towards the Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow in White with some pinky bits:
Diva%20Gel%20Flow%202%20White.jpg

Would appreciate your personal experiences and opinions, feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Any other saddles I should be considering??

Budget - £100 maximum really.

Thanks!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    Duplicate post
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Daniel B wrote:
    (We tried a sitbone mesurement at home)
    I'll bet you did! fnarr!

On a serious note, yes I also think the Diva 'looks' the best bet and yes, there are many complications that pregnancy and childbirth can bring on, including displaced pelvic bones and spinal problems that could reduce flexibility in the lower back that can affect how you sit and how long for. She could well find that she does not rotate her hips the same way, for example. I used to do maternity assessments and workstation assessments and have found all sorts of things happen to women at this time.

PS - congrats and hope it all goes well.
  • I have the selle Italia one (although its in boring black as my bike is black and red) and I love it.

I've popped out a couple of little nippers myself and I don't recall it made a difference to my bike riding position although I was riding a mountain bike not a road one at the time. (No - not at the exact time :roll: )

Mind you - it was a couple of days before I'd have wanted to sit on a a bike saddle! :wink:
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for both of your replies :-)

And thankyou for the congrats me-109 :D

I am definitely erring strongly towards the Selle Italia Diva now, but am not sure between black and white, what do you reckon?
    SD336-zoom.jpg

And - should I get a white seatpost as well?
    rit_CompInlinePost.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    I think the white looks nicer, but on a black seatpost I'd probably go with the black saddle.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    Me-109 wrote:
    I think the white looks nicer, but on a black seatpost I'd probably go with the black saddle.

So are you telling me to get a white seatpost ;-)

I've found a new FSA 250 white seatpost for £30 delivered:
    192_162;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

What do you think?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    White seatpost would go nicely with the white stem. ;-)
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    They could be paired FSA items then as well.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • KateF
    KateF Posts: 86
    That FSA250 seatpost looks to have quite a significant offset, which will affect the fitting of the bike, which is perhaps more important than colour?
    Winter bike - Verenti Kilmeston
    Fair weather bike - Ribble Stealth
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    KateF wrote:
    That FSA250 seatpost looks to have quite a significant offset, which will affect the fitting of the bike, which is perhaps more important than colour?

This is true, however it is the same, or at least very similar offset to that of the seatposts on her Trek and Spesh.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I have the white Selle Italia one and it is great and by far the most comfy saddle I have had (tried many!). Thing is, some may look nice and match the bike frame...but will it be comfy to sit on for your girlfriend...?
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2013
    Baby Trek wrote:
    I have the white Selle Italia one and it is great and by far the most comfy saddle I have had (tried many!). Thing is, some may look nice and match the bike frame...but will it be comfy to sit on for your girlfriend...?

Hi Baby Trek, thankyou for your reply, and the Selle Italia recommendation.

This does appear to be the most recommended ladies saddle, but yes you are completely correct that there is no way I know it will be right for her, but if not it can be sold on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'd definitely go with the white saddle on that bike. Post a photo of the finished article won't you?