Marin trail

Craigbes
Craigbes Posts: 74
edited August 2013 in Routes
My son and me are going to snowdonia for a few days. Were looking at doing the marin trail but notice it says it is a red route and not really suitable for mountain bike beginners. My son has some off road experience and I have a lots of long distance endurance on road experience. Is it as bad as it sounds or would taking your time and using common sense be ok to get us round ???

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yeah just take your time, the final descent is the most technical bit. there are some nice bits of singletrack, but mostly there's a lot of fireroad climbing. nothing too technical as long as you're sensible :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yup its fine, apart fromt he end decent its a bit of a boring miserable fire road ride with nice veiws.
  • What about that section of rock in the middle. Its a fairly long ride and if your new to it i can imagine it can become quite daunting. Personally I'd be looking at CYB for a starter, that gives an indication of whats on offer with escape routes should you want it.
  • welshkev
    What about that section of rock in the middle. Its a fairly long ride and if your new to it i can imagine it can become quite daunting. Personally I'd be looking at CYB for a starter, that gives an indication of whats on offer with escape routes should you want it.

what about it? it's not technical or daunting? :? it's 25km and i'd say a good 15km of it is on fireroad.

yes, coed y brenin has more choice but the marin isn't a hard trail unless you're unfit and judging by what the op said, that's not a problem
  • Craigbes
    Craigbes Posts: 74
    Thanks for the reply's people. We'll give it a punt :)
  • Ok, i thought he was asking from a beginners point of view.

To be fair your wearing a full face and airborne in your picture, so I'm guessing your ability is way above me and the person asking, which makes it easier to view these as easier trails. And its not a fitness issue alone, it includes having the confidence ( which takes time) to attack these obstacles and not let the self doubt/personal safety kick in and then face plant cos you've bottled it. Thats why I do it, its the occasional fear factor and adrenaline that makes me seek out these tracks.

"........The singletack varies from very tight, technical and rocky to wonderfully open and flowing, from dark forest to exposed ridgelines" MB Wales
  • welshkev
    Ok I appreciate that fair point :D

But that's why I said for him to take his time and be sensible. Being sensible could involve getting off and walking - which I'm not ashamed to say I have done in the past :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    There are some sections of singletrack that mean I'd I'd think twice before taking a newbie rider to the Marin trail, some sections are very very rough, and would hurt like hell if you had an off, since there's nowhere soft to land!
    There's also some fairly steep twisty rocky descents where you may struggle to keep your speed under control whilst keeping the bike upright.
    I know a few people who lead MTB groups, and none of them do the "full Marin" with beginners.

If you do, make sure you get a map, so if you come unstuck, or find yourself out of your depth, you can find your way along the forest roads back to a car park.