Ambushed while riding

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited August 2013 in The Crudcatcher
So today I was riding down one of my local trails that I have been MTB on for 20 years and previously used to cycle down as a kid as its near my parents house. The trail always has walkers on it so I take it slow and bimble along it, but today was different, from behind the bushes a retired couple complete with dog sprang out grabbed me and announced that they were doing a citizen arrest and proceded to take photos of me while telling me I'm braking the law :evil: now that was a new one on me :roll:
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Heads backwards, ditch! Its the only way!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    time for a head cam.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Did they touch you anyplace?

We can get a teddy so you can point....
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Did they touch you anyplace?

We can get a teddy so you can point....

LOLS!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • what was an old couple doing in the bushes with a dog?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    what was an old couple doing in the bushes with a dog?

Brings a whole new meaning to dogging
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I was thinking it was going to be some octogenarian sex :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Illegal?

I suggest something involving old wooden chairs, cable ties, and slowly peeling her skin off whilst he's made to watch.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Clank wrote:
    Illegal?

I suggest something involving old wooden chairs, cable ties, and slowly peeling her skin off whilst he's made to watch.

You've mellowed with age :)
  • Sarnian
    nicklouse wrote:
    time for a head cam.
    That's what I was thinking at the time, it would of made for some funny viewing, I'm waiting for my photos to start appearing on trees and lamppost.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Serves you right for going too slowly - if you had a decent bit of speed on you would have taken at least one of the old f***ers out then they'd have been too busy phoning for an ambulance to take your pic.

Get some bits of paper printed up saying 'Photo taken by miserable old w@nkers with nothing better to do' to add to your photo when it does appear on local street furniture.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Sarnian
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Serves you right for going too slowly - if you had a decent bit of speed on you would have taken at least one of the old f***ers out then they'd have been too busy phoning for an ambulance to take your pic.

Get some bits of paper printed up saying 'Photo taken by miserable old w@nkers with nothing better to do' to add to your photo when it does appear on local street furniture.

Well I did think about going into anti ambush drills and fighting my way out then re-grouping and going on the offensive, but I thought no lets live to fight another day.

I will be going back that way in the morning, I do hope they take old rover out morning and evening :D
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Press assault charges.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Mate of mine managed to take this pic of an enraged OAP who went psycho on him and his mates while he was out trail riding on his KTM, while laughing and avoiding the walking stick the old geezer was swinging at him, so maybe it's not that rare, lol...

15986.jpg?max=959
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Haha, this never happens to me :( I think it would be god damn hilarious to have some old biddy going mental.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    we did have some old dear come and tell a group of about 12 of us off for not using our bells on the cycle path to warn her. to be fair she had a point and it took some balls (pardon the expression as she was a woman) to confront us all like that.

the next time we rode past her (we'd stopped to have a drink etc) we all made ding ding noises and she said thank you :lol:
  • Sarnian
    Well no sign of them this morning, but that don't mean there not there watching me and getting ready for the next move, I've really got to get me a helmet cam
  • Stevo_666
    Sarnian wrote:
    Well no sign of them this morning, but that don't mean there not there watching me and getting ready for the next move, I've really got to get me a helmet cam
    ...and some Ben Hur type spikes on your axles.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Sarnian
    The way the old girl was talking I'm expecting to find cheese wire across the path, damn she had some fight in her
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Sarnian wrote:
    The way the old girl was talking I'm expecting to find cheese wire across the path, damn she had some fight in her

Forgot the chloroform?
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian wrote:

Forgot the chloroform?

Forget the chloroform, I want a tranquilliser gun mounted on the bars so I done have to stop
  • Old people be crazy. I got told off once for going too fast down a proper mtb jump track at Duce by some coffin dodgers who must have been pretty blind to not see the large no entry signs at the bottom of the track...

Euthanasia should be prescribed to some people.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Mike Deere wrote:
    Press assault charges.
    +1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure whether to laugh or cry, so they commited an offence whilst trying to prevent you doing something almost certainly not illegal, I presume you educetd the old duffers as to the law!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sarnian
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure whether to laugh or cry, so they commited an offence whilst trying to prevent you doing something almost certainly not illegal, I presume you educetd the old duffers as to the law!

I did do some educating, but they were not having any of it. They have been walking that trail almost every day for 40 years and have taken loads of pics and names of riders and handed them to the police (oh I bet the law love them) so I said how many people have been prosecuted, don't know they said, well I can tell you none was my answer.

I now have a laminated copy of the law in my riding back :D to produce on my next in counter
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sarnian wrote:
    They have[...] taken loads of pics and names of riders and handed them to the police (oh I bet the law love them)
    :lol:
    Years ago, a few of us built a beach buggy, and used to take it round to an abandoned building site to muck about. There were some nimby old folk moaning and calling the police, so every day, a bobby turned up, just to say hello. He said he knew we still weren't up to anything, but his boss had a policy that they should check out every call of disturbance or nuisance, one copper even admitted that he was getting fu**ed off with all the silly old bast**ds complaining about nothing :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Next time you see them in the woods, call the cops and tell them there are some perverts dogging in the bushes and trying to accost young men to join in with them. That should get a response...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Never mind OAPs, watch out for this guy, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSn9thr ... detailpage
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    So where were you exactly?
    Were you on a FP or BW?
    If in England/Wales and on a FP then you were actually(technically) breaking the law.OK so it's a civil law but one which has been in dispute for years.The offending knobs have no right of "citizen arrest" unless they are the actual land-owner BUT if you actually collide with them(and are riding illegitimately) then you are liable.
    If the trail you were on is not marked on an OS map then you have to assume(unless you have permission)that it is a FP then "technically" out of bounds for anything other than walkers no matter how many years people "have ridden it".
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ibbo68 wrote:
    So where were you exactly?
    Were you on a FP or BW?
    If in England/Wales and on a FP then you were actually(technically) breaking the law.
    No, not really. You have no specified legal right to be there (in most cases), but that also doesn't mean it's illegal to be there.
    For example, there's no legal precedent that says you can ride through Tescos. But, if you were to do so, there's no law that actually says you can't either.
    Hence, much arguing.
    Even so, worst case scenario is that the landowner can take you to court for trespassing.