Chipped chainstays

thegreatpoobarr
thegreatpoobarr Posts: 32
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Steel frame bike, couple of weeks old, and I've already got a couple of nasty (in my opnion) looking chips on the chain stays.

As I haven't been offroad with it yet, it hasn't had any real rough treatment, I couldn't work out how they came about - until today. Arrived at work today, lifted it onto my shoulder, and legged it up the 40 or so stairs, upon reaching the top I took it off my shoulder and let gravity do the lowering work for me as it hit the ground I heard the unmistable sound of the chain slapping the stays. Now that it's clear where they came from I can do something about avoiding them in future, primarily not dropping it off of my shoulder, however surely in real world use I can expect it to take a lot more abuse than that? If so, why's it happening? Granted it's still a few weeks off of it's 6 week tune up, so I'd assume things are still stretching out a bit.

Luckily a little touchup kit came with it, so repairing the chips before they become a bigger issue won't be a big deal. As regards avoiding them in future, I know protective sticky things are available, is there any real difference between them or are they all much of a muchness?

Comments

• get a chainstay protector. problem solved!
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Steel frame bike, couple of weeks old, and I've already got a couple of nasty (in my opnion) looking chips on the chain stays.

As I haven't been offroad with it yet, it hasn't had any real rough treatment, I couldn't work out how they came about - until today. Arrived at work today, lifted it onto my shoulder, and legged it up the 40 or so stairs, upon reaching the top I took it off my shoulder and let gravity do the lowering work for me as it hit the ground I heard the unmistable sound of the chain slapping the stays. Now that it's clear where they came from I can do something about avoiding them in future, primarily not dropping it off of my shoulder, however surely in real world use I can expect it to take a lot more abuse than that? If so, why's it happening? Granted it's still a few weeks off of it's 6 week tune up, so I'd assume things are still stretching out a bit.

Luckily a little touchup kit came with it, so repairing the chips before they become a bigger issue won't be a big deal. As regards avoiding them in future, I know protective sticky things are available, is there any real difference between them or are they all much of a muchness?

I use two of these on my bike, to completely cover the entire chain stay area, I should really stitch the two together, but I have one overlapping the other at the half way point

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m11b2 ... tAodmD0Aug

Frame like brand new when I take them off for cleaning
  • OK, so a chainstay protector it is then, and as nobody's commented otherwise I'll assume it's fairly normal for a chain to have as much play rattle arund.

Thanks folks.

Right, now to choose one.
  • depends what gears you're in, but yes in some combinations of gear, the chain can become longer and a bit slacker.

You shouldn't use the small-small combo (or large-large for that matter) which would give a very slack chain.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    OK, so a chainstay protector it is then, and as nobody's commented otherwise I'll assume it's fairly normal for a chain to have as much play rattle arund.

Thanks folks.

Right, now to choose one.
    Yes, perfectly normal. Chain is a metal thing, chainstay is a metal thing, when they collide, things get scratched. But it's a mountain bike, so it doesn't matter, it will end up in a bit of a state soon enough anyway.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    an old inner tube and cable ties does the job.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105

Exactly
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    But looks shite and you need to faff and cut ties to start again when it goes rubbish. Also not as quiet as neoprene.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a mountain bike, it's designed for rattling down big fuck off hills, bounced off rocks, crashed etc. Wrap some inner tube or a chainstay protector around the stays and stop being a fanny.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    It's a mountain bike, it's designed for rattling down big fark off hills, bounced off rocks, crashed etc. Wrap some inner tube or a chainstay protector around the stays and stop being a fanny.

All well and good, and now I know that it's no big deal. Without asking the question though
    what am I supposed to do, guess? I've got balls, but they're not crystal.

Obviously I'd wrap some old inner tube around it, had I been aware of this practice. Oh yeah, and if I had any inner tubes, other than the two that are in the tyres. I'm completely new to this whole MTB thing, hence the stupid newbie questions. I wholly appreciate that in time the bike's going to get roughed up, but on the whole, and especially as it's only being used for the commute to work right now, I want to avoid trashing it as much as possible.

Thanks for the opinion, knob jockey.

Everyone else, thanks for taking the time. I'll nip into my LBS at the weekend and pickup one of the lizard skin protectors in a nice contrasting green or summat - once I've touched up the chips.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Less of the aggro, it was a tongue in cheek remark. Sounds like you need to grow some thicker skin as well, tinkerbell.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ilovedirt wrote:
    It's a mountain bike, it's designed for rattling down big fark off hills, bounced off rocks, crashed etc. Wrap some inner tube or a chainstay protector around the stays and stop being a fanny.

All well and good, and now I know that it's no big deal. Without asking the question though
    what am I supposed to do, guess? I've got balls, but they're not crystal.

Obviously I'd wrap some old inner tube around it, had I been aware of this practice. Oh yeah, and if I had any inner tubes, other than the two that are in the tyres. I'm completely new to this whole MTB thing, hence the stupid newbie questions. I wholly appreciate that in time the bike's going to get roughed up, but on the whole, and especially as it's only being used for the commute to work right now, I want to avoid trashing it as much as possible.

:lol: You tell him - some folk on here are far too quick to denigrate newbies, forgetting that they were once one too. It may be inevitable that an MTB's going to pick up some cosmetic scars when used for what it's intended for, but there's nowt wrong with taking some pride in a new bike that you've spent your hard-earned on, or wanting to keep the damage to a minimum.
  • ilovedirt
    Less of the aggro, it was a tongue in cheek remark. Sounds like you need to grow some thicker skin as well, tinkerbell.
    This.
    And it's pretty obvious to anyone that touching up every little scratch and chip is going to be a total waste of time, even to a novice. Get out there, and get it dirty and scratched up. You won't be so bothered once it's got a bit of mojo on it...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Not the prettiest solution but cheap and very effective. Works well on all my bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    Looks just as good as a minging old chainstay protector, and holds up better too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    This.
    And it's pretty obvious to anyone that touching up every little scratch and chip is going to be a total waste of time, even to a novice. Get out there, and get it dirty and scratched up. You won't be so bothered once it's got a bit of mojo on it...

I do get what you're saying. I'm not prissy about it, it's a mechanical lump of metal, rubber and plastic and I'm fine with it getting the odd ding here and there. At the same time, if I can avoid them, then I will.

There's two nasty down-to-the-bare-metal chips on the chain stays, and it's a steel frame, surely whacking a protector on there, of any kind, and forgetting about it is just asking for trouble later. I mean, if you're telling me that corrosion really isn't an issue then I'm going to have to take you at your word for it as I don't know any better when it comes to bikes. To be honest though if I saw those same chips on my car bonnet I'd be pretty certain to get them sealed before they inevitably started to corrode. I don't have to touch the bike up with paint the same colour as the frame, hell I'd be perfectly happy using clear nail varnish, but it just so happens a pot of touch up paint came with it. I'm hardly likely to use anything else.

Intended course of action is to cover the chips, then get a protector on it at the weekend to avoid any further damage. If that makes me a prissy little c**t then fine, 'my names The Great Poobarr, and I'm a prissy litte c**t.

Now, what's the best way to stop my trainers getting any dirt on them? Clingfilm?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nano tech spray.

Yes, get them covered up as you never know. if you're not bothered what colour it is, I suggest pink.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    There's two nasty down-to-the-bare-metal chips on the chain stays
    Yep, that's what happens when paint chips away!

My solution, for over a decade, has been to only buy mountain bikes that don't have chainstays! :lol:
  • capoz77
    Forget the inner tubes just buy the lizard skin neoprene jobbies, £6 is hardly breaking the bank, and easy to whip off and chuck in soapy bucket etc Particularly when many on here ride £2000-£4000 bikes, £6 is a drop in the ocean.

I've just bought a lizard skin headset protector to, keeps all the trail shizz out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHc_kTrXcFEC3PoHg4gwxclHD5VdAeC7qyhIC-qB7r0_M04x1tmg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    capoz77 wrote:
    I've just bought a lizard skin headset protector to, keeps all the trail shizz out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHc_kTrXcFEC3PoHg4gwxclHD5VdAeC7qyhIC-qB7r0_M04x1tmg
    Actually, those things tend to keep the crap where it would normally just get washed away, and can cause premature headset wear.
    MTB headsets are designed for MTBing, and are generally very well sealed.
  • capoz77
    Always worked on my old steeds, particularly of the old ball bearing rust trap types of yester years, stops grit getting in there in the first place, seconds to remove to to clean behind etc

Reviews also suggest no problems

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-he ... protector/
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You might find that the old ball bearing ones weren't "rust traps", unless you had one of them on it!
    They're another one of those flash in the pan inventions, like downtube mounted crudguards, that belong in the bin of history.
  • capoz77
    You might find that the old ball bearing ones weren't "rust traps", unless you had one of them on it!
    They're another one of those flash in the pan inventions, like downtube mounted crudguards, that belong in the bin of history.

jumping to conclusions dude ;) They were rust traps for years, UNTIL I fitted the lizard seal, after that bearings just lasted and lasted :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    That flies in the face of everyone else's experiences of these wastes of money, then.
    er, "lol", I guess?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    This.

I do get what you're saying. I'm not prissy about it, it's a mechanical lump of metal, rubber and plastic and I'm fine with it getting the odd ding here and there. At the same time, if I can avoid them, then I will.

There's two nasty down-to-the-bare-metal chips on the chain stays, and it's a steel frame, surely whacking a protector on there, of any kind, and forgetting about it is just asking for trouble later. I mean, if you're telling me that corrosion really isn't an issue then I'm going to have to take you at your word for it as I don't know any better when it comes to bikes. To be honest though if I saw those same chips on my car bonnet I'd be pretty certain to get them sealed before they inevitably started to corrode. I don't have to touch the bike up with paint the same colour as the frame, hell I'd be perfectly happy using clear nail varnish, but it just so happens a pot of touch up paint came with it. I'm hardly likely to use anything else.

Intended course of action is to cover the chips, then get a protector on it at the weekend to avoid any further damage. If that makes me a prissy little c**t then fine, 'my names The Great Poobarr, and I'm a prissy litte c**t.

Now, what's the best way to stop my trainers getting any dirt on them? Clingfilm?
    It's a complete non-issue. My steel hardtails have always had chips down to the bare metal, they're not going to rust through, trust me! I know guys who have stripped their steel dirt jump frames and poured salt water on them to make them more rusty! (apparently they liked the look)

You'll probably not care once you've ridden it a bit... I only do the bare minimum to keep my bike maintained a lot of the time. That said, it does work perfectly. Just a bit mucky/(very) scratched ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • capoz77
    Got a pic after todays ride of the double lizard skins. 5 years on still look in good condition.

20130811_131217_zps3a60e230.jpg

Granted I could leave them off and alloy chips/scratches, etc, but for the £10 they cost me, its a small amount in comparison to the £3k+ i've spent on the bike.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't think the one nearest the chainset is going to be doing anything useful.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it is he's got bigger problems than chips.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • capoz77
    cooldad wrote:

They cost a tenner and protect the entire chainstay, as I already said VS the price of the bike, i'm overly protective :D
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:

Mushy peas?

Renthal one for me (matches the bars on my Bandit and Speed Triple, lol), £9

DSC_8913800x532_zpsc572aff0.jpg