Help With Tire Selection

MikeyJ7
MikeyJ7 Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there. I am new to this forum and new to road biking, although have been riding a Trek FX 7.5 avidly since retiring from competitive inline speed skating 5 years ago. (11,000 kms in 4 and a half seasons). Oh. I live in Canada, eh. Calgary, Alberta to be exact.

I picked up my first road bike this year, a gently used Specialized Allez Expert, 2007 model but upgraded with carbon fibre handlebards and Mavic Ksyrium wheels. It came equipped with Mondo Pro tires. I know these will not last forever and am looking for a potential replacement. Plus they do not make them anymore according to the Specialized site.

My style of riding is that I compete against myself and the wind, ride mainly for fitness and pleasure, and always try to pass the cyclist in front of me or keep up to or pass the one that passes me. I am 59, and ride 60 kms two to three times a week and sometimes 70 to 80 kms.

I am considering the Bontranger AW1 hardcase 700 x 25 (the 23 is available by special order) but am not sure about a few things. I have read that the 25mm tire will give a more comfortable ride over the longer distances as well as theoretically lower rolling resistance due to less impact deformation. At the same time I do not wish to sacrifice speed. I love speed. But durability is an important factor as the routes I ride to consist of occaisional gravel detours, flotsam and jetsum, potholes, root heaves, rough railway crossings and some rocks and glass. (I am getting good at bunny hopping this super light bike!) The Mondos have taken 800 kms of this brutality quite well. The AW1 weighs in at 400 grams as opposed to the AW3 at 305 for the 25mm and 295 for the 23mm. There are no published specs for the Mondo but I would assume it to be around 300 grams. The AW1 is $44 and the AW3 $69. That $69 is a lot of money to put out for a tire.

So my question is: Should I be concerned about the additional extra weight of the AW1? And, will the 25mm be an added benefit or detriment to my riding? I do however see the advantage of the AW3's aramid bead for ease of flat fixing as opposed to the wire bead of the AW1 which requires a lot of muscle, metal levers and sometimes a screwdriver to remove or replace the tire, not good for expensive alloy rims. I used the 32mm version of these tires on my 7.5 but have no point of reference for using them for a road bike.

I appreciate your expertise and help with my concerns.

Mike

Comments

• MikeyJ7
    MikeyJ7 Posts: 7
    Thank you for your input! Jan Heine totally reverses all concepts I had about road tires, that being that skinny hard slicks equals faster ride. That may well explain why I was able to do so well on my FX 7.5 performance hybrid with the 32mm AW1's. Even up against some road bikes.

On the subject of subtle casings vs rolling resistance, the Bontranger tires incorporate what are called Aero Wings to eliminate the gap between the rim and the sidewall where the bead clinches into the rim, thereby reducing air drag to compensate for the less subtle casing.

Here is a link to some independent testing done on rolling resistance for these tires as well: http://www.granprixbicycles.com.au/revi ... tyres.html

With respect to puncture resistance, well, I had a horrible season last year wherein even with the hard case AW1's I still had to repair a flat on half of my rides. Previous years nothing. And the Mondo Pros so far nothing. And I ride hard. That being said the AW3's Hard Case Lite in the 25mm may be a good choice because of the more flexible aramid bead, but the price, aarrgghh!!